Diy Background

SuperColey1

Planted Section
Reaction score
I am attempting over the next few weeks to create a good looking background for my tank without using a quarter of the space like the ones I see on the net, although they do look damn good.

Keep checking back to see how I get on

This is my tank

PHOT0001.jpg

What kind of materials do you plan on using on your project?

Paula

This is gonna be my base material. It's corrigated plastic and covered the base of my fridge or washing machine when I bought it. It's the same material as for sale signs.

I've cut it to the size of the back of my tank, and then cut 2 pieces to go around my pump.

The left overs I've cut into little different shapes so that the surface isn't flat.

What I want to do next is use aquarium silicon to seal all the holes in the corrigated parts and to stick the filter cover and the pieces to the surface.

I'm also saving the empty plastic trays that my frozen bloodworm comes in, cleaning them out thoroughly and I'm gonna fil them with silicon so that nothing goes bad in there, then gradually use more and more silicon until the surface is like a rock/cliff face. Then just before it all dries completely drop a load of aquarium sand onto it so that it has that natural look.

Don't worry I will be drilling holes in the pump and heater 'hider' so that the water can still come in and out freely and where the gravel is at the bottom of my tank I will leave it totally open so that water can freely pass through the gravel.

After it's all finished I will empty my fish and water and dry out the tank before fixing the background to the back with sealant so no algae builds up behind it.

Hopefully this project will be finished within a month, although it should only take 15-20 man hours, I want it to dry completely each time use some silicon.

I estimate that I will spend about £15 on silicon, and £5 on the sand to cover it. So dead cheap

PHOT0002.jpg
:good:

Hope you post some pictures along the way. I'm interested in seeing your background being build!

Paula

I will. bought 2 310ml industrial size silicon cartridges off ebay last night for £12 so if its enought that will make the finished result even cheaper. As I say I love the ones I see on these sites but they take up so much space in the tank.

Weekend will start with the sealant.

STAGE 1 - Cut the sheet and pieces to size required - Time taken 1 Hr

STAGE 2 - Silicon the pieces together - Time taken 3 Hrs

I have now completed the second stage and will leave until next weekend to do the next stage. I have siliconed the heater and pump cover together and also put all the pieces onto the surface.

I have decided that next weekend I will cover it with silicon then dump a load of sand onto it and then leave another week to dry (shaking off the excess sand after 24 hours)

I'm then going to 'paint' a layer of concrete over the surface to a depth of about 4-5mm (The sand will give the concrete something to grip on.

Then leave to cure in salt water for a week. changing the water half way through to get rid of anything nasty in the whole item.

This is the whole unit as it stands after 4 hours total work
PHOT0003.jpg

You will notice that there is a 3-4mm gap all the way along the filter/heater cover to allow water to flow in and out.
PHOT0004.jpg

Check back next week for more progress or failures
Andy :)

No it's corrigated plastic like the for sale saigns. I've completely sealed the edges and intend to seal the whole of front before siliconing it to the back of the tank

I did a currogated false wall on my saltwater nano and was told that the currogated plastic has chemicals that leach slowly into the water. The chemicals supposedly keep the plastic fexible and from cracking and discoloring. It's unknown if these chemicals have any affects on aquatic life in the long run.

After it's finished it will be totally sealed within aquarium safe silicon and also will have a layer of concrete round most of it + 7 days curing in salt water, so hopefully there should be 0 risk although i don't think you can say anything is 0 risk

I've put this project on hold now for a few weeks until my 'disaster' tank sorts itself out. disease after parasite after disease etc. medications continuaously being replaced and fish acting stragely etc.

After hearing it may be toxic. I decided to do a little research which didn't take long.

This is what it says on the correx site:

Correx is:
Lightweight Strong and durable
Impact resistant
Hygienic
Water resistant
Non toxic and resistant to chemicals
Cost-effective alternative to wood, PVC or polystyrene
Easy to convert
100% recyclable
Available in flame retardant versions

I'm assuming that if it is water resistant and non toxic and resistent to chemicals that it should be perfect for inside my tank. Does anyone know any different? let me know.

I've used this stuff in my tank to create filter covers and have never had any problems with it. People say you can never be too careful but I think a completely sterile environment is damaging. Like I say I followed a similar procedure to yourself and my fish are fine, except for a few that have 3 eye's and imploded fins

Most reactions

Back