Dividing A Tank For Bettas

schooly20

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My girlfriend has 3 male bettas in separate bowls and she wants to put them into a bigger tank with dividers now. She was wondering though what would be a good size tank for the 3 of them and possibly still have room for 2 more. So I guess the question is how big of a tank should she get to divide up for 5 bettas?? Thank you!!

They should have a minimum of 2.4 US gals each, so a tank of 12 US gals plus would be fine for them :good:

2.4 US gallons? Sorry but I have to disagree with that one. If you can swing it, get a 10 gal. and divide it into 3, it will be fine. But, for 1 betta, the absolute minimum is 1 gallon.

whats wrong with what netty sed, she sed 2.4us gallons(1.9 imperial gallons) PER betta

so getting a 12 gallon is fine to divide up, as she already sed :rolleyes:

oh wow, that even seems small. We always feel so bad for the bettas in the little tiny cups at the stores. She was actually thinking about doing 5 gal but really wants to get something that would provide 10 gal for each. Is this too much or would that make the bettas really happy?? I know it would be easier for her to keep water parameters consistent if she got something bigger. I've been keeping fish for a while but dont know too much about bettas so I thought we'd ask.

10gallons each? are u serious? get a 15gallon, split in 3 if ur serious about them having a good deal of space

thats 5gallons each, perfect :)

As I said.....12 US gals Plus so if you have the room for more even better :good:

Zafirah....1us gal per betta is way to small IMO

I agree with Phoe, Netty gave great advice and she is absolutely right!!!!!

indeedy she did, 12 gallons split into 3 is 4 gallons each, plenty of space

my boys are in 4 gallon tanks, and theyre fine

oh wow, that even seems small. We always feel so bad for the bettas in the little tiny cups at the stores. She was actually thinking about doing 5 gal but really wants to get something that would provide 10 gal for each. Is this too much or would that make the bettas really happy?? I know it would be easier for her to keep water parameters consistent if she got something bigger. I've been keeping fish for a while but dont know too much about bettas so I thought we'd ask.

As Netty already said it`s 12g plus. You can get as big tank as you want and bettas are happier in bigger space, but 12g would be minimum for 5 bettas.

you want 5 bettas don't you? so you could get a 20 gallon for each betta to have 4 gallons. That would probably be fine. It would be good if the tank was longer rather than taller, so then each divided section gets a big surface area, rather than a tall slim space :) you sound like you'll keep them well though! :good:

Well like I said I've been keeping fish for a while and the first thing I learned was not to overstock! So I made sure that when she started to get interested Id make sure she knew the importance and she has apparently taken to it. Anyway she has found a 50 gal. breeder tank online that we're going to go look at, it comes with everything need. I figure that like ryanp15 said a longer tank would be better and since the tank is a breeder it would give more surface area to each fish. Her next question is weather sand or gavel is a better substrate?

Well like I said I've been keeping fish for a while and the first thing I learned was not to overstock! So I made sure that when she started to get interested Id make sure she knew the importance and she has apparently taken to it. Anyway she has found a 50 gal. breeder tank online that we're going to go look at, it comes with everything need. I figure that like ryanp15 said a longer tank would be better and since the tank is a breeder it would give more surface area to each fish. Her next question is weather sand or gavel is a better substrate?
if you go for sand then cories will stop it from going green by constantly stirring it up, gravel is ok, neither is better as you can see clearly the dirt on the base of the tank and thus giving you a cleaner tank b/c you know for a fact that it needs cleaning, bettas dont care whether there is substrate or not as long as they have a plant or peice of bogwood to rest with or a terracotta pot as some people use.

a 50 gallon divided into 5 is 10 gallons each, if she wants to go that big I would go with a sand substrate and get a different group of corys for each divided section, well planted and with some nice driftwood that will be a amazing tank.

you could even have your 5 male bettas in 25-30 gallons divided and a soronity in the other 20-25 :D you've got loads of room! much more than a lot of people give their bettas! they'll be very happy, and if you had a soronity there would be a larger space to aquascape, it could look fantastic :drool:

Most reactions

Back