Dirty Filter Hoses W/ Caister Filter

rainbowkeeper

Reaction score
thank you for any help in advance...

I have a rena star canister filter and the hoses are getting a coating of junk inside. whenever i unhook the filter for cleaning
and reconnect with the auto refill it spews all the junk in the lines back into the tank. same goes for any air bubbles in the canister from cleaning. the agitation loosens the debris and it blow back into the fresh clean tank.

this is my first canister filter and maybe i missed something on the direction for keeping the lines clean. i'm guessing this
problem is going to continue to get worse the longer I have the system running. The debris is whitish and flaky once its in the tank

Funny you asked this just now because I was wondering the same...except mine doesn't dump back into the tank. It's just a green coating on the inside of my input and output tubes. I was going to ask for those that have canister filters, do you all replace your hoses monthly?

You can either replace the hoses if you choose and they are cheap enough, alternatively eheim make a cleaner for your pipes, link is below. I use it and it works spot on :good:

It fits all pipes with an internal biameter between 9-25mm and is simply a brush on the end of a long wire which you feed through the pipes and pull the brush through bringing any dirt through with it.

Eheim cleaning brush

Andy

Yeah I was thinking about this earlier after I posted and figured an unwound coat hanger and a piece of cloth would work. Or a small diameter dowel rod and a cloth.

You would have trouble getting a coat hanger or dowel rod through the pipes unless they are straight, my pipes naturally bend to the shape they are required to sit at so the eheim cleaner is good as it comes on flexible wire.

Andy

You could make your own cleaner easily enough. The principle of the Eheim has been used for years for cleaning guns. A cleaning patch on the end of a long flexible cord that can be pulled through a tube will wipe the inner surface clean. Sometimes it will take 2 or 3 passes to get it clean enough to suit you. A piece of waste cloth works fine for that kind of cleaner. Just tie it to one end of the wire and tie a weight to the other end so that it will fall through the tube. Grab the weight and pull the cleaning patch through.

You could make your own cleaner easily enough. The principle of the Eheim has been used for years for cleaning guns. A cleaning patch on the end of a long flexible cord that can be pulled through a tube will wipe the inner surface clean. Sometimes it will take 2 or 3 passes to get it clean enough to suit you. A piece of waste cloth works fine for that kind of cleaner. Just tie it to one end of the wire and tie a weight to the other end so that it will fall through the tube. Grab the weight and pull the cleaning patch through.

Most reactions

Back