Didz Fluval Reef System

didz04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Let me get straight to the point yeah ;)
Here is my fluval reef system its been running for a few weeks now but I haven't added many corals yet as I'm working on a better lighting system first. I'm on a budget for other stuff at the mo.

Dimensions are: 32" x 14" x 18" working to around 130 liters. no sump but possibly planning for one in future.

I have my 2 starting fish in there 2 small chromis.
Stocked Corals: mushrooms, duncan head coral, xenia, few button polyps, rock corals x3 not sure of name but possibly majano, Alveopora.
I'm still planning to add more live rock but still keeping it open spaced.

I'll get pics up later.

Scrap the alveopora mate, they are easier to keep the goni's but still a tough one. I would say you wouldn't be able to sustain the perfect conditions for them in a nano tank.
Just my opinion :)
Oh and s majano is a pest anemone.

Scrap the alveopora mate, they are easier to keep the goni's but still a tough one. I would say you wouldn't be able to sustain the perfect conditions for them in a nano tank.Just my opinion :)Oh and s majano is a pest anemone.

It wasn't in my intention to stock an alveopora as it came with live rock. I actually had it in my 13g nano for 10 months under my 8w t5 lights and yeah I expected it to bleach and die off but nothing like that has happened.This was it 10 months back which was considered to be monipora when I placed it in the ID section (on ultimatereef).

alveopora 10mths.jpg

I'm having problems uploading my other pictures?? under 100kb and still says its too big?

:hi: to the salty side of the forum :good:

So lets have a piccy :p

Seffie x

Thanks I'll try get them up soon.

Another convert, pics pics pics
I'll try get them up soon.

Photobucket mate :)
That doesn't look like alveopora to me but it does look mostly dead.

Is it encrusting? If you can see a polyp can you describe it? Like shape, petal number etc.

Photobucket mate
smile.gif

That doesn't look like alveopora to me but it does look mostly dead.

Is it encrusting? If you can see a polyp can you describe it? Like shape, petal number etc.

I'm using image shack but will try photo bucket, but here's another link to the picture. This is how its is now and you can count the 12 petals but not tentacles yet.

dsc0315o.jpg

Its working on a different web browser using opera before.
I know until I get my new lighting system its not going to grow any more. I'm shocked that its still surviving though.

I'll get some more pictures up soon.

Well that certainly is different :) and is indeed alveopora, still very bleached but looking better. I can honestly say I gave never heard of one of these hitchiking - they have very slim survival rates so you have done very well :)
Do you feed your tanks any filter feeding foods?

Well that certainly is different
smile.gif
and is indeed alveopora, still very bleached but looking better. I can honestly say I gave never heard of one of these hitchiking - they have very slim survival rates so you have done very well
smile.gif

Do you feed your tanks any filter feeding foods?

yeah totally different, nope I'm not feeding the corals any supplements only food is frozen spirulina and brine. The alveopora wouldn't consume in any of these of course. So I don't know what its living off, my low lighting I have at the mo lol or my water quality however, they only seem to like moderate lighting and do best in a low flow area. See how it gets on when my T5 lighting arrives.

I am saying this as politely as possible but is your water less than pristine? I ask as this coral comes from places that are laden with nutrients so a slightly mucky (but without phosphate) water does actually benefit them.

I am saying this as politely as possible but is your water less than pristine? I ask as this coral comes from places that are laden with nutrients so a slightly mucky (but without phosphate) water does actually benefit them.

A new fact Ive learned today
smile.gif

My saltwater's definitely not pristene could be clearer but its not bad either. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'mucky' in my head I see the phrase 'mucky' as different coloured water but it seems pretty clear to me, no change in colour. In terms of testing the water 0 nitrites, ammonia and nitrates 15. I need to buy a new phosphate kit as it ran out using on my nano, only half a bottle when I bought it. Purchising my first calcium and alklinity test kit as I'll be venturing in to more lps corals.

Thanks

The bigger chromis out of the 2 keeps bullying the smaller acting like a real damsel fish
devil.gif
so I'll be stocking a couple more of those to get them shoaling again.
Right some pictures for all of you to see. Sorry not many as its still a bare tank a lot of work to do before I can chill back and relax. Just to get the thread going with some non-colourful pictures
sleep.gif

dsc0325lb.jpg

Some fine coralline algae growth going on there though
biggrin.gif

My Duncan head first lps coral only one as after buying some live rock from a private seller I only had just enough money to buy one head and couldn't back away so he chizzled away one branching head, hopefully to turn in to a beautiful colony of Duncans
drool.gif
yes.gif
awaiting on a new head as he does look quite lonely in there.

dsc0328l.jpg

Purple Mushrooms my favourate started with only one head.

dsc0329d.jpg

Pulsing Xenia also grown more heads since Ive had it in there but gladly hasn't spread like wild fire yet.

dsc0200eu.jpg

looking at getting my next fish on sunday and picking up a few corals.

Looking good!
Sorry by mucky I mean dissolved solids rather then, well murky. Remember that water clarity is not the same as water quality.

And tbh mate unless you keep sps a bit of muck in the water (but still with no phosphate) can be good, my water is far from nice but then I also keep slightly different things from the norm :)

What fish are you getting?

Thanks, well every tank is different
smile.gif

These are my initial fish plans

Clownfish - not sure which one either common or might go for the saddleback clowns.
Yellow watchman goby
Bicolour Blenny
Yellow Stripe Clingfish
Cherub Dwarf Angelfish - Ive done a lot of research in to these and heard a lot from experienced fish keepers with these fish. I'm going to go ahead with it but stock it in last. Seen them smaller than 1" around a few lfs.

Inverts

Fire Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp
Pistol Shrimp

Longspine Urchin - Depending on if I get the clingfish and see how it gets on.

PLease let me know of your thoughts and other fish suggestions.

Looks good mate, interested to see this cling fish.

Most reactions

Back