Did a tank clean... Change them?

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
my tank was building up alge so I did a 60% water change and a gravel clean, I put the tetras in a large Tupper ware bowl and was surprised when they didn't bully each other. I acclimated them for an hour while the filter and heater were on, all the nitrates, GH, and pH, etc. were the same, I did a new setup and added a took away some things, so it looks like this now: https://ibb.co/TTZcwTq rather than my last setup: https://ibb.co/4JmDjHc

After an hour, I put them in the tank and left them alone, but was watching them closely, and they just schooled together but didn't bully. I found out the bloodfin are actually Buenos Aires tetras.

is it the change in the setup? or something else?

Why are you expecting them to bully each other?

I would guess it's a temporary truce. Moving them and rearranging the tank would be stressful and they have shoaled together for protection under the perceived threat. Within a few hours they will be bickering again, Buenos Aires tetra are somewhat aggro!

I would say that it stressed them, the new environment and everything. A lot of fish have a stress coloration and a relaxed coloration, they are schooling together because they feel threatened on the new tank since they don't know it yet, give them time since fish may take anywhere from a day up to 2 years on familiarising themselves with their new environment and once that is done I bet they will revert to their bloodfin colors.
now there is also the case that they are indeed Buenos aires tetra so, what do their looks before and after the change resemble?
this (blood fin)
1622041617438.png

or this (Buenos aires)
1622041596868.png

something that will help them calm down and settle faster will be more of their own species so once you truly identify them go ahead and buy more in the pics I can only see 4, and I would say from experience that the least amount of schooling fish should be 10.
And one last concern, your tank looks to be a 10 gallon that in case of them being bloodfin is 100% ok, but if they turn out to be Buenos aires tetra then it isn't since they need at the very least a 20 gallon long to thrive.
Also, I would suggest going for more of a natural look, you can keep your decorations and substrate but you should add more live plants and change your driftwood for something like spider wood this would make them bloodfin (assuming they are bloodfin) feel more at home and would increase your bioload handling ability to suit the 10 recommended tetras.

I would say that it stressed them, the new environment and everything. A lot of fish have a stress coloration and a relaxed coloration, they are schooling together because they feel threatened on the new tank since they don't know it yet, give them time since fish may take anywhere from a day up to 2 years on familiarising themselves with their new environment and once that is done I bet they will revert to their bloodfin colors.
now there is also the case that they are indeed Buenos aires tetra so, what do their looks before and after the change resemble?
this (blood fin)
View attachment 137362

or this (Buenos aires)
View attachment 137361

something that will help them calm down and settle faster will be more of their own species so once you truly identify them go ahead and buy more in the pics I can only see 4, and I would say from experience that the least amount of schooling fish should be 10.
And one last concern, your tank looks to be a 10 gallon that in case of them being bloodfin is 100% ok, but if they turn out to be Buenos aires tetra then it isn't since they need at the very least a 20 gallon long to thrive.
Also, I would suggest going for more of a natural look, you can keep your decorations and substrate but you should add more live plants and change your driftwood for something like spider wood this would make them bloodfin (assuming they are bloodfin) feel more at home and would increase your bioload handling ability to suit the 10 recommended tetras.
\
this (blood fin)
View attachment 137362

or this (Buenos aires)
View attachment 137361

ty :) there definitely bloodfins, I might either move them to my 47 gallons (I got a stand yesterday!) or keep them in the 10 gallon, but I will get a few more :)

imma order some plants off of https://www.liveaquaria.com/ or eBay, maybe Petco.

\

ty :) there definitely bloodfins, I might either move them to my 47 gallons (I got a stand yesterday!) or keep them in the 10 gallon, but I will get a few more :)

imma order some plants off of https://www.liveaquaria.com/ or eBay, maybe Petco.
congrats on the new stand for your aquarium!
just remember the more the merrier so 10 is a minimum but if you move them to the 47 then maybe get 20-25, trust me the more you add to their school the more bold and outgoing they will be, and you will be seeing a lot of new interesting behaviour that only appears at larger numbers.
1 last thing, once you buy, quarantine and acclimate the new bloodfins you can expect to see some mild aggression, this is them meeting each other and making sure the new fish are friends and not rivals once this is done they will school nicely and move as one. so don't worry too much about it unless you see true aggression in which case you should isolate the aggressor for a few days and keep a close eye for good recovery on the victim

congrats on the new stand for your aquarium!
hehe, ty :) its not really a stand, a hot water heater that I'm gonna paint or cover in contact paper
just remember the more the merrier so 10 is a minimum but if you move them to the 47 then maybe get 20-25, trust me the more you add to their school the more bold and outgoing they will be, and you will be seeing a lot of new interesting behaviour that only appears at larger numbers.
cool! I'm gonna have my silvertips (getting more) lowlight tetras (my grandfather has only one in his tank that I feel bad for, and he said I could have what ever fish I wanted from his tank) and more bloodfins and albino rainbow sharks (I think you saw my "how does this sound for stocking my 47?" thread
1 last thing, once you buy, quarantine and acclimate the new bloodfins you can expect to see some mild aggression, this is them meeting each other and making sure the new fish are friends and not rivals once this is done they will school nicely and move as one. so don't worry too much about it unless you see true aggression in which case you should isolate the aggressor for a few days and keep a close eye for good recovery on the victim
ok :)

Most reactions

Back