Devided Breeding Tank

blue_betta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
having seen jaded's double breeding tank set up it got me thinking. i liked the idea but i prefer to use a devided tank for breeding, so came up with this. the middle two compartments are for the girls and the ends are for the males. the plants and the deviders would keep the males from seeing each other but the females can see each other and mabey get a bit competative.. then hopefuly just pull the deviders out once the fry are all free swiming and the males are out.

question about heating tho.. would i best be with two small heaters, one at each end, or one biger one in the middle?

Attachments

• dvbrdtnk.JPG
    dvbrdtnk.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 30
Just be carefull... because i have had my male see other females during spawning and eaten the eggs!...
just take extreme care personally

I wouldn't let any of the bettas see each other. Only the pair you are breeding should be allowed to see each other.

Bettas don't think 'competitively' when they breed, if anything, all this will do is stress the females out, making them less likely to breed.

As for heating....I think it would be best just to get one large heater, and stick it in the middle of the tank.

I wouldn't let any of the bettas see each other. Only the pair you are breeding should be allowed to see each other.

Bettas don't think 'competitively' when they breed, if anything, all this will do is stress the females out, making them less likely to breed.

As for heating....I think it would be best just to get one large heater, and stick it in the middle of the tank.

so why do some breeders keep a breeding pair in view of another female? ive heard this gets the female in with the male a bit more worked up and territorial and spurs her on to breed

so why do some breeders keep a breeding pair in view of another female? ive heard this gets the female in with the male a bit more worked up and territorial and spurs her on to breed

Exactly, what happens to the other, less dominate female then?

*ding* There's the problem.

Exactly, what happens to the other, less dominate female then?

*ding* There's the problem.

yeh but in this instance, they are not competing for the same male. each female can only realy see "her" male and as she is between him and her "rival" they feel they are the dominant fish and keeping the rival at bay. its a theory but i think it will work

You could try letting the females see eachother and see if it works. Never know until you try it out. It might work, it might not.
1 large heater would probably be enough to heat the whole tank.

Most reactions

Back