Definitive guide to Bettafix/Melafix/Pond Melafix

SarahBravo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have loads of better things to do, but I tend to get obsessive, so I decided to work out all the doses for bettafix and melafix..... easier said than done!

I think I've got my head round this, finally. Bettas, tropicals and pond fish take the same dosage of tea tree oil (but you're advised to change betta water in between doses). The only reason for the 3 different products is for the companies to make money: they make a small, highly diluted bottle for small tanks (bettafix), a less diluted bottle for larger tanks (melafix) and a strong product for ponds and professional breeders (pond melafix aka 'professional strength'). If everyone bought pond melafix and used the teeny tiny doses for tanks, we'd save a fortune and the companies would lose one!!

You don't need to dilute whatever product you're using - just use the dose as on that bottle. The doses work out the same whatever product you use.

The Bettafix bottle actually says not to change the water in between doses, but most advice I have read on here says to, so that's what I've put

Cation's recipe:
To make 'bettafake' dilute 1ml pure tea tree oil with 499ml distilled or dechlorinated water. Use 25ml per 10 gallons for all fish.
To make 'melafake' dilute 1ml pure tea tree oil with 99ml distilled or dechlorinated water. Use 5ml per 10 gallons for all fish.
To make 'pondfake' dilute 1ml pure tea tree oil with 19ml distilled or dechlorinated water. Use 1ml per 10 gallons for all fish.

Please check out the table below - I think it's right, but let me have any disagreements or comments!

Please note - this has been edited to reflect Inchworm's advice and Fiori pointing out mistake in 'adding new fish' instructions. Chart below is corrected one.
MELFIXPRODUCTSDOSINGGUIDANCEcopy.jpg

Sarah

Edited for stupidity!

Yep! I was trying to work out the proportions for bettafake.... I'm so dim, I did it drop by drop..... but I'll go make some now.

The one thing that concerns me about all the water changes is the stress factor. If I am using Melafix to combat fin rot which is mainly caused by stress, does it not seem that the whole process of netting the fish, putting him in a bowl, leaving him there for the 10 minutes it takes to do water change, catching him again, sticking in a plastic bag, and floating to acclimate to fresh water would cause way more stress damage than just leaving him in perfectly good water. My water parameters are absolutely perfect: ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all 0 (I have live plants in 2.5 gallon so nitrates are 0) pH stable at 7.0. Since I started treating him, I check it every day and it is always the same. Why should I change this water every day and stress him more?

Fab piece of work :thumbs: - particularly as I recently asked a question on dosage myself. Definitely should be pinned.

rdd1952 said:
The one thing that concerns me about all the water changes is the stress factor. If I am using Melafix to combat fin rot which is mainly caused by stress, does it not seem that the whole process of netting the fish, putting him in a bowl, leaving him there for the 10 minutes it takes to do water change, catching him again, sticking in a plastic bag, and floating to acclimate to fresh water would cause way more stress damage than just leaving him in perfectly good water. My water parameters are absolutely perfect: ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all 0 (I have live plants in 2.5 gallon so nitrates are 0) pH stable at 7.0. Since I started treating him, I check it every day and it is always the same. Why should I change this water every day and stress him more?
Hi rdd1952 :)

There are additional things that are going on in a quarantine tank (or in your case the regular betta tank) that cannot be measured with ordinary test kits.

Since finrot is a bacterial infection you have bad bacteria, of one kind or another, living and growing in the water. Removing them with frequent water changes is sometimes all that is necessary to cure the fish. However, meds including MelaFix do help.

Doing frequent water changes during treatment helps to reduce the amount of living bacteria which will help the fish heal. Not only does it physically take them out of the tank, but it reduced their food supply which slows their reproduction. This way, the Medication can heal the fish without it constantly being reinfected.

Another thing that water changes do is raise the oxygen content in the water which also slows down the growth of infection causing bacteria.

Like humans, it's important to keep the sick room clean and aired out. It's well worth the effort.

All that is necessary to do is to dip some of the water out and replace it with dechlorinated water at the same temperature. :D

Inchworm said:
All that is necessary to do is to dip some of the water out and replace it with dechlorinated water at the same temperature. :D
I have been doing partial water changes daily, about 40% but a lot of what I am reading say 100%, including the chart on this post. To me that seems like it would be too stressful but I do unerstand the importance of getting rid of them bacteria.

rdd1952 said:
I have been doing partial water changes daily, about 40% but a lot of what I am reading say 100%, including the chart on this post. To me that seems like it would be too stressful but I do unerstand the importance of getting rid of them bacteria.
Hi rdd1952 :)

I agree with you. Of course, if your fish was in a little bowl, it might be a different matter.

I think the thing to keep in mind when changing water is to adjust the dosage to reflect the amount of water changed. I have heard of fish getting injured from too much MelaFix, so you probably just want to have enough to do the job.

It would be easier to figure with a 100% water change, but it's not too difficult to figure out how much to add when doing a partial change either. Just be sure to add the MelaFix to the water being added and not directly to the tank. :D

pin. I'd love to be able to link this easily. A lot of people ask this question.

Most reactions

Back