Tank size: 20g L
pH: ~7.4
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 10-20 ppm
kH: ~60 ppm
gH: ~110 ppm
tank temp: 76F

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
Within normal limits until today. Swimming towards the top of the tank, and seemed to be having trouble (I noticed this while inspecting my tank in the morning). Rather quickly upon inspection, I noticed what appeared to be eggs on the side of one of my peppered cories. I immediately removed it from the tank for closer inspection, and soon noticed that these "eggs" (which I was not at all convinced were eggs) were coming from her. Hubby and I both investigated to see what we could find out (which was very little). Upon examination, there appeared to be some internal bleeding, and so I made the decision to put her down. I'm a health care practitioner--and it eats me alive when something like this happens. After she passed, I took the liberty of doing something I told myself I would never do--a fish autopsy. At first I thought maybe the eggs were from another fish--I scraped them off, and did not see any visible damage, however, it felt like there might be an open area. At this point, also, they did INDEED appear to be eggs as they kept an autonomous shape in the water. Wanting to know what was going on to ensure the safety of the tank, I decided to dissect her--which I have reservations against. No sooner had I made the first incision, than an enormous amount of eggs came out. I imagine she was impacted, though I haven't figured out more of the story than that at this time. Hoping for some answers from more experienced keepers than myself.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:
Weekly; 30-40%.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
None. I do not use carbon and use various biological media in my filters. I have a corner filter that is filled with a combination of mechanical and biological media; and a 40g rated internal filter that uses filter floss. I also have an additional bubble stone, which everyone loves to play in. I will add stress zyme and stress coat with each water change; because I know that this tank is stocked on the high side (its a temporary tank until we get the one in our living room finished.

Tank inhabitants:
4 pencilfish, 4 bronze cory, 3 peppered cory, 6 neon tetra, 4 harlequin rasbora, 3 mystery snails, a handful of shrimp --and an occasionally cantankerous crawfish--who has never been a problem; but has been getting increasingly obnoxious (climbing everything) in the tank. There is also a number of various species of live plants (including Amazon Bleheri, Anubias, Java Fern, Godlen Melon Sword, Hadi Red Pearl Sword and Kleiner Bar Sword and moss balls).

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
None. Established tank--hasn't changed for at least 4 months.

Exposure to chemicals:
None; other than listed above.

Digital photo (include if possible):
Post-mortem x2. "Eggs" x2. (I apologize for my lack of photography skills)

Attachments

• IMG_8010.jpg
    IMG_8010.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8012.jpg
    IMG_8012.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8013.jpg
    IMG_8013.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8014.jpg
    IMG_8014.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 89
Was a male Cory in the tank? A female can lay up to 400 eggs at a time. They scatter them on the glass, filter, everywhere. Normally when the female is ready to breed. She will nudge the male and he will release the sperm. The female then holds it in her mouth and fertilized eggs as she scatters them.

Was a male Cory in the tank? A female can lay up to 400 eggs at a time. They scatter them on the glass, filter, everywhere. Normally when the female is ready to breed. She will nudge the male and he will release the sperm. The female then holds it in her mouth and fertilized eggs as she scatters them.
I’m sure that was the case—also, why on earth would they be coming out of her side? Injury? Impaction? In the hours of research I did, I’ve not found another case like this?

I have. No I dead why they want ups do that. Perhaps Colin_T will know when he comes on.

Most reactions

Back