Danios

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Derekshatch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was thinking about putting my danios in a 10 gallon full time for breeding purposes because my 30 gallon is getting a little bit packed and I want to see some fry survive because i see their eggs get eaten all the time by my other fish. Is that a big enough tank for them?

if you are planning to keep only a small number of the baby's yes a 10 gallon will be fine for a couple of pairs for spawning

Things to consider. The danios will readily eat any eggs they lay, or other danios lay, as soon as they find them, and in this small a space the chemical signals released by the spawning pair will make it very clear to the other danios just what is going on. If you want fry, only a pair should be introduced to the tank, and then removed as soon as spawning is completed. There is more info here under the "Reproduction" section:

A 10g can work for a spawning pair, but not for more fish or long-term.

Platies need a minimum tank size of 24 x 12 x 12 inches. That's the minimum, not the best tank tank size. And that's for just platies; if there are other fish as well it needs to be bigger.

How many gallons is that?

The dimensions essjay cites would be a standard 20g high. And as she says, this is the basic minimum, not meaning the ideal.

I am going to add danios to my 10 gallon because aquarium co-ops video says that you can do that.

I am going to add danios to my 10 gallon because aquarium co-ops video says that you can do that.
There’s not enough room for them lengthwise in a 10Gtank. They are very energetic and have to have the space. A 20G long would work well for them. Petco has their Dollar a Gallon through Feb 2nd.

Just because someone says you can do it doesn't mean it should be done. Danios may be small fish but they are very fast swimmers - members in the past have commented that they can cross a 6 foot tank in less than 1 second. Any fish that swims like this should not be confined to a small tank. As Byron said, yes for one pair of danios in 10 gallons just for spawning, but after the eggs are laid the fish should be moved back to their bigger tank.
Seriously Fish is just about the best source of information there is. Look at the minimum tank size they recommend - and that's the minimum; bigger is always better https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/danio-rerio/

Bigger is always more expensive and i dont trust you guys. I trust the professional that has a youtube channel and a fish store. Sorry but thats the truth.

Bigger is always more expensive and i dont trust you guys. I trust the professional that has a youtube channel and a fish store. Sorry but thats the truth.
I have a You Tube channel. anyone can have one. That doesn’t mean a thing. Seriousely, please quit wasting our time if you don’t “trust us”. I, for one, will not answer your inquiries any longer. Good day!

And never trust the shop. They want to sell you things. If your fish get sick, you'll buy medication. If your fish die, you'll buy more fish. That's all most shops want - for you to spend more money.
As for YouTube, anyone can post utter rubbish on there if they want to.

If you don't want to listen to us, read Seriously Fish. They are the real experts - scientists and ichthyologists. Don't bother with any other source, be it a website or YouTube.

They clearly have no knowledge about fish needs. This is cruel and inhumane, period.

There are fish suited to a 10g, Zebra Danios are not. It is cruel and inhumane to the fish. And any fool can post videos on YouTube.

Most reactions

Back