Danio - I Think He Is Dying :-(

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sbenbow

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
One of our Danio's has been swimming awkwardly this afternoon/evening.  He is almost listing over to one side as he swims along.  The swimming itself is erratic.

Now the lights are off, he is resting on the plants so he doesn't have to sleep/swim.

I am not hopeful of him lasting until the morning :-(

Does anyone have any advice or ideas?

Doesnt sound good, is he alone in the tank? If not try to quarantine him off from the others, you can purchase all purpose medication tablet from wal mart that will treat basically anything, keep the lights off. See if that helps, not really much you can do. 

He is still with us today (about 16 hours later) but still poorly.

I went to the LFS at lunctime, and they said to bring in both the fish and a water sample.  They would put the fish in a quarantine tank and monitor him / see if they can find a cause.  If he gets better - great.  If not, then they would check for infections/parasites so that I would be able to treat the other fish in my tank at home.

Plus, if the Danio does die before I get him to the shop, they said to bring him in (and a water sample) anyway so they could still check.

What an amazing service.  This was from Pets at Home (Fosse Park, Leicester).  The fish keeper really does love his fish there, and I would recommend this store to anyone!

If our Danio survives until later this evening, myself and our kids will be down at the LFS to see what help we can provide!

RIP.  After best endeavours, sadly no more.

A massive thank you to everyone at the LFS for taking so much care over what is, technically, a fish that you can buy quite cheaply.  But it is the fact that it is a pet / member of the family that they appreciate and they helped so much.

Most reactions

Back