Damsels

IMAN4774

Reaction score
Hey I have a 75 gallon tank as my first tank and I was wondering how bug damsels get and how many whould u suggest as a start?

Damselfish are not a good idea. While they are small fish and easy to care for by themselves, they are HIGHLY aggressive and territorial and may kill fish multiple times their size if they feel like it. If I were you I'd go have a read through the pinned topics in the reef chit chat section and then have a look through a website like liveaquaria.com to see what kinds of fish you like the looks of. Then come back and ask some questions about them :).

Hey I have a 75 gallon tank as my first tank and I was wondering how bug damsels get and how many whould u suggest as a start?
Alot of people like to buy damsels as they are cheap and hardy. ("good" beginner fish(if its the only thing your keeping)). Alot of people buy them strictly to test their water sadly.Ufortunately I have a friend who insists on doing this instead of testing his water, which really annoys me. I wouldn't recommend buying them, as ski said they CAN be very aggressive (its kindof a gamble from what I've read).

Always the rebel, I think certain damselfish are a good FIRST fish. Yellowtails {singly} are good community fish in general. They are one of the least aggressive and obviously hardy. They are quite boring however. But mine has been nothing but an angel since day 1 and sure is pretty. :)

Always the rebel, I think certain damselfish are a good FIRST fish. Yellowtails {singly} are good community fish in general. They are one of the least aggressive and obviously hardy. They are quite boring however. But mine has been nothing but an angel since day 1 and sure is pretty. :)

I agree, reading some of my posts I may look lke a 'rebel' as well. :lol:

hmmm i like yellow tails and they have the blue colour that im trundling through different species to find. Was gonna put 3 chromis in my 90 litre but at 6 fish (wishlist 2 clowns, 6 line and something blue ) that would be pushing it. So do they have their moments coz id like one but not if it would harm nething else

I have found an interest in Violet Damsels or Neopomacentrus violascens but the only problem is that I cannot find them anywhere, I have no idea what a violet damsel would cost let alone a good price for a violet damsel, is there another name for the fish that I keep missing? If anyone has any information on the violet damsel and/or where to buy one your help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

about to restock my nano with four striped damsels...I think four stripes are probably the most entertaining of the damselfish, and IMO the most attractive.

Most reactions

Back