Cycling

Amber192419

Reaction score
I,ve just started to get things ready for my tank i.e buying a filter etc.

Basically ive read up all about cycling tanks adding ammonia into tanks etc to speed up the process but i dont really like the sound of this idea, is there a possible chance I can leave the water in the tank for a few months before i put the fish in? or will there be no bacteria?

:blink:

I,ve just started to get things ready for my tank i.e buying a filter etc.

Basically ive read up all about cycling tanks adding ammonia into tanks etc to speed up the process but i dont really like the sound of this idea, is there a possible chance I can leave the water in the tank for a few months before i put the fish in? or will there be no bacteria?

:blink:
The bacteria rely on ammonia to live, witout ammonia in the water you will have nothing!
you said "Basically ive read up all about cycling tanks adding ammonia into tanks etc to speed up the process"
adding ammonia does not speed up the process - it is the process.

my friend you must have an ammonia source. maybe a fish in cycle with a few hardy fish will do the job but i would recommend adding ammonia.

its no were near the ammount of trouble it sounds.. :good:

its no were near the amount of trouble it sounds.. :good:

Agreed,
I'm currently doing my fishless cycle and the initial thought of ammonia and the whole process seemed a bit daunting (mainly the actual sourcing of the ammonia put me off), I ended up somehow getting 2 bottles of Ammonia... one from Boots and one from Homebase, and my cycle is currently going well.. It's actually kind of exciting seeing how your various levels progress :).

Agreed,
I'm currently doing my fishless cycle and the initial thought of ammonia and the whole process seemed a bit daunting (mainly the actual sourcing of the ammonia put me off), I ended up somehow getting 2 bottles of Ammonia... one from Boots and one from Homebase, and my cycle is currently going well.. It's actually kind of exciting seeing how your various levels progress :).
same here although im lucky enough to have access to mature sponges with loads of baccies in :hyper:
have you logged your progress?

kitty, please heed our advice and get some ammonia and a test kit :good:

Agreed,
same here although im lucky enough to have access to mature sponges with loads of baccies in :hyper:
have you logged your progress?

kitty, please heed our advice and get some ammonia and a test kit :good:

Yup I've got a log :)
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/367500-wigsters-tank-journal-cycling/

The ammonia is your bacteria's food. You are pretending to be a whole tank of fish who have just had a really good feed...
Depressing as it is for the first part of the cycle you will have little opportunity to "get into character" however once they're eating and processing the ammonia in 24 hours you will get more opportunities :)
Ammonia can be a bit strong no the nose so don't have your head over the bottle or container into which.you're pouring. We got a syringe for measuring - its the easiest way I think.
Nothing to be worried about and no stress.
Miles

Thank you all for advice :)

So for a 120 litre tank how much ammonia will I need?

Thanks

Most reactions

Back