Cycling with Fishies

The-Raven

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've been cycling my tank for a week now, I know that's not nearly long enough to complain or anything.

In the last two days I've noticed a massive increase in the amount of bacteria in the tank... the filter, and the tube leading up to my powerhead are both just covered. Which is a good thing I'm inclined to believe.

My ammonia levels are still hovering between .5-2.0 depending on when I did my last water change. My nitrites have been hanging around .25. But my nitrates have actually been increasing.

I was under the impression that ammonia went first, then nitrites, then came nitrates. What's going on?

And how long will it take to fully cycle my tank would you say? I have a small population, but enough of a population to keep ammonia up.

Usually you will begin to see nitrates as your nitrites are starting to peak. Your nitrites should start to go down soon. Sounds like a normal cycle to me.

Cycling can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks, sometimes less, sometimes more.

Tolak

Tolak said:
Usually you will begin to see nitrates as your nitrites are starting to peak. Your nitrites should start to go down soon. Sounds like a normal cycle to me.

Cycling can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks, sometimes less, sometimes more.

Tolak
But my nitrates are going up while my ammonia is still relatively high

I've never actually heard of anyone being able to see the bacteria in their tank.... What's it look like?

i'm planning on doing a cycle with fish, not this weekend but the weekend after. Have brought a testing kit, what should the levels read before i put fish in?

Kirsty said:
i'm planning on doing a cycle with fish, not this weekend but the weekend after. Have brought a testing kit, what should the levels read before i put fish in?
all zeros for ammonia, nitrite and nitrite.

everything else depends on your tap

Most reactions

Back