Cycling Nitrite

SensesFail

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I started cycling my new tank on the 30th of last month and I have a nitrite today of 0.3. I have had this for just over a week now in my 190litre tank. Is this going ok? I am currently using waterlife bacterlife and am coming up to needing to buy another bottle :-l anyone had this problem and how long do cycles usually take? 6 weeks?

Cheers guys

Patience is a vurtue as they say :)

Have you tested you're tap water? How often are you doing water changes? What filter and media have you got?

Hmmm how is this bacterlife stored at your LFS - I assume its in a sealed bottle at room temp.

Our helpful bacteria need oxygen and food to survive - after a few weeks in a bottle there can't be much of either. These bottle products are all a little useless.

To do a proper fishless-cycle you need a source of ammonia - in the UK you can get household ammonia in Boots and Homebase; in the US I'm not sure but any hardware store should be able to help. You are also going to need a good liquid test kit.

Give us a full profile of your setup

Tank size
Filter, media & turnover
pH
Temp
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Familiarise yourself with this thread- http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861

Fishless cycling does indeed take awhile. I do not believe in buying the bacteria in a bottle, which is suppose to help cycle the tank. With that said I wouldn't go and buy another bottle of this stuff you speak of, it's just a waste of money, but that is my opinion.
It sounds like your cycling is getting towards the end, since the nitrite has shown up. Nitrites don't take as long as ammonia does so it may be another week or two.
I've always gone by once nitrAtes start showing up, and the ammonia and nitrIte levels go to 0 within 24 hours then your tank is cycled and you should be able to add fish.

Hmmm how is this bacterlife stored at your LFS - I assume its in a sealed bottle at room temp.

Our helpful bacteria need oxygen and food to survive - after a few weeks in a bottle there can't be much of either. These bottle products are all a little useless.

To do a proper fishless-cycle you need a source of ammonia - in the UK you can get household ammonia in Boots and Homebase; in the US I'm not sure but any hardware store should be able to help. You
are also going to need a good liquid test kit.

Give us a full profile of your setup

Tank size
Filter, media & turnover
pH
Temp
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Familiarise yourself with this thread- http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861

Tank size: 190 litres
Aquis external canister with bio noods, wool and
Sponge.
pH tap water: 6.5
Temp: 27c
Nitrite: 0.3

I'll have to test the nitrate and ammonia when I get in? I may go and buy some house hold ammonia instead of buying more biomature but it's how
Much you add of it?

Have you tested you're tap water? How often are you doing water changes? What filter and media have you got?

I have not started doing water changes as it's still cycling should I be doing water changes while it's still cycling?

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

if you get the standard 9.5% ammonia 10ml will bring 190 litres of water to 5ppm. I'd factor in some displacement if you have ornaments etc and go for 9ml to be on the safe side. This is assuming current ammonia level is zero - if not reduce accordingly adding 1 or 2ml then retesting after a few minutes till you get a reading of 5ppm.

Use this thread or a new one to start logging your daily test results. Test ammonia every 24hours untill it drops to zero - once it does keep adding 6ml (3ppm) a day and test Nitrites every other day (Ammonia test daily still just to make sure it keeps cycling).

Once Ammonia and Nitrite cycle back to zero in 24 hours - increase back to 9ml (5ppm) over a couple of days and test every 12 hours and adding every 24 hours untill you get zero for both with in 12 hours of dosing ammonia.

Simples.

if you get the standard 9.5% ammonia 10ml will bring 190 litres of water to 5ppm. I'd factor in some displacement if you have ornaments etc and go for 9ml to be on the safe side. This is assuming current ammonia level is zero - if not reduce accordingly adding 1 or 2ml then retesting after a few minutes till you get a reading of 5ppm.

Use this thread or a new one to start logging your daily test results. Test ammonia every 24hours untill it drops to zero - once it does keep adding 6ml (3ppm) a day and test Nitrites every other day (Ammonia test daily still just to make sure it keeps cycling).

Once Ammonia and Nitrite cycle back to zero in 24 hours - increase back to 9ml (5ppm) over a couple of days and test every 12 hours and adding every 24 hours untill you get zero for both with in 12 hours of dosing ammonia.

Simples.

Briliant I shall start this tomorrow when i find a boots with ammonia. I will post the results of everything tomorrow before I add ammonia. I'll use this thread :) thanks for the help appreciated :)

And also if you are near 1, some Homebase stores do ammonia too, thats where i got mine and out of curiosity sniffed it right out of the bottle there in the shop :/ word of warning...dont lol

Ben.M

And also if you are near 1, some Homebase stores do ammonia too, thats where i got mine and out of curiosity sniffed it right out of the bottle there in the shop :/ word of warning...dont lol

Ben.M

im near no homebase stores sadly iv been on the boots website and the soonest i can have it pickup in store is next tuesday :-l or if i pay £5.00 i can have it on friday. Think i better pay the money and just get it. Its all a learning curve as they say!

Ordered 6.25 and 4.50 of that is postage for friday delivery. i will test the tank tommorow for everything required and post the results for you guys to have a look.

if you get the standard 9.5% ammonia 10ml will bring 190 litres of water to 5ppm. I'd factor in some displacement if you have ornaments etc and go for 9ml to be on the safe side. This is assuming current ammonia level is zero - if not reduce accordingly adding 1 or 2ml then retesting after a few minutes till you get a reading of 5ppm.//////// (so I'm testing nitrite until it is 5ppm? Add 1 or 2 mill then test nitrite?////////////

Use this thread or a new one to start logging your daily test results. Test ammonia every 24hours untill it drops to zero - once it does keep adding 6ml (3ppm) a day and test Nitrites every other day (Ammonia test daily still just to make sure it keeps cycling). ///////when testing ammonia am I making sure it is zero while the nitrite will increase ? Or will I get a reading on the ammonia until it goes to the nitrite part of the cycle?///////

Once Ammonia and Nitrite cycle back to zero in 24 hours - increase back to 9ml (5ppm) over a couple of days and test every 12 hours and adding every 24 hours untill you get zero for both with in 12 hours of dosing ammonia. ////// when you add 9ml and then the nitrite and ammonia drop to zero within 12hrs the tank is ready?? ////////

Simples.

Asked questions above :)

You'll start by picking an "add-hour" (a particular time out of the 24 hours) such that its a time you can both run your tests and add ammonia if needed AND such that the hour that is 12 hours away from this will be also available for you to test (but not add ammonia) much later in the fishless cycle. Be aware that you only ever add your dose (the one that takes you to 4-5ppm or whatever we have you dosing at the moment) once per day at your add-hour and only if you your ammonia test dropped all the way to zero ppm at some point in the previous 24 hours (got that :lol: ) Typical add-hours are 7pm, 8pm, 6am, times like that very often, depending on your life.

Next, its important to keep a daily log, typically in your aquarium notebook or on your computer in a spreadsheet. Ideally, you'll mirror this information in the first post of a "fishless cycling" thread in your name here in our beginners section and you'll give your baseline info (tank volume, tap results... lots of stuff) to kick things off and give everyone all the info in one place. There was a recent guy named Luke I think who had a great template.

The daily entries (at most) are Day# (not date), 12 vs 24 test(not time), Temp, Ammonia, Nitrite(NO2), pH, Nitrate(NO3), water clarity, ammonia added?, observations. Hopefully I didn't forget anything. Now, its important not to think you have to perform -all- these tests all the time, you don't. The members can help you decide what's useful and when. I tend to divide the fishless cycle into 3 phases and that can help with suggestions.

During the first phase you are both waiting for ammonia to drop from 5ppm to zero ppm within a single 24 hours, and you are watching to see some traces of nitrite(NO2) appearing. Obviously you need to be testing ammonia and some nitrite, but you may be able to skip days at first while things are slow. You need off and on pH testing even this early too and the members can help explain that when needed.

The second phase is the "Nitrite Spike" phase where the nitrite readings are too high for the nitrite test to accurately measure. The third phase starts once nitrite finally drops to zero within 24 hours and now you begin hoping for it to drop faster each day until it can drop to zero ppm within 12 hours. Each of the three phases can take 2 weeks but fishless cycles (all cycles in fact) are notoriously unpredictable and vary quite wildly. People naturally make mistakes and this just causes things to be even more varied, thus the style of "handholding" we use here with the fishless cycling thread.

Once both ammonia and nitrite drop to zero within 12 hours you can start your "qualification week" and if you pass that then you can do the big water change and get fish.

~~waterdrop~~ :)

I decided to test 3 things just to give you some idea of what the tank is doing. I added biomature at 4pm British time so this is just to give you an idea.

Tank size: 190litre
Temp: 27 celcious
Nitrate: 5mg/L
nitrite: 0.3mg/L
Ammonia: off my scale (very blue in colour) my scale goes to 6.1.

I have been adding 5.5ml of biomature everyday now for around 3-3.5 weeks.

If I remember correctly, the biomature product has nitrates directly in the bottle, so when your test kit shows a result for them its not because you had bacteria which processed ammonia into nitrite into nitrate, its just that nitrates got poured directly in to the tank. I think we had a member who ran his test kits on the bottled stuff itself, but I might not be remembering this correctly. (Hey! you could test it for us, lol.)

~~waterdrop~~

I'd be inclined to do a very large w/c - like all of it. Fill with fresh conditioned water and dose to 5ppm with household ammonia when you get it. I'd also turn my heater up 2 degrees to 29C.

I'd be inclined to do a very large w/c - like all of it. Fill with fresh conditioned water and dose to 5ppm with household ammonia when you get it. I'd also turn my heater up 2 degrees to 29C.

I teste the ammonia again tonight and it's off the scale still so I havnt added biomature today and I'll do a massive water change 2moro test ammonia and if it's 0 start adding ammonia testing after 10mins to make sure it's 5ppm then leave it until it drops to 1? Then dose it again? Then once the nitrite appears to 5-10ppm then leave it till that drops? So will going from Dosing every day to once every so often will this be ok?

Most reactions

Back