Cuttleshell Found On The Beach

lucc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everybody, as I didn't recieve any help or advice in "snail" section, I will aks here.... I have found cuttlefish shell on the beach (apparently birds like it too) and because I have very soft water and have new snail - I heard advice to put it in aquarium (bought from per store). Can I put this one found on the beach in aquarium too? How long shall I boil it (if it is possible to use the one I found on the beach). And if yes - shall I break it up before I put it in the water? Also I have found on the beach these clusters - as hard as a stone.... they are I think the faeces of different shells and creatures living in the sea. Would that be good saurce of calcium too? And can I put this in aquarium if boiled? And how long should I boile it so it is safe...
... I will put normal shells found on the beach in (I did that before), hope everything will be ok... Boiled it for a while and will boil again - just to make sure.... But I am interested to know what do you think about all this.... thank you. Lucc

Cuttlefish is very good for snails being kept in soft water :good:

Soak it in clean, fresh water for two or three days, changing the water every so often to get rid of any salt, and then boil it for 5 or 10 minutes and it will be safe to put in your tank :)

Soak it in clean, fresh water for two or three days, changing the water every so often to get rid of any salt, and then boil it for 5 or 10 minutes and it will be safe to put in your tank :)

I take it they don't rasp/eat it. relying on the acidity in the water to draw it into the water, itself?

I take it they don't rasp/eat it. relying on the acidity in the water to draw it into the water, itself?

Some of mine eat cuttlefish!

Thans a lot - that is great advice..... I have in my tank botias macr., silver dollar, harlequins,punteus titt. - is it ok for them too to put cuttlefish in? That is my only other question, which I should have ask already before... and thank you again!!! Lucc

No, they do actually eat it. It does dissolve in water, but only very, very slowly.

Thans a lot - that is great advice..... I have in my tank botias macr., silver dollar, harlequins,punteus titt. - is it ok for them too to put cuttlefish in? That is my only other question, which I should have ask already before... and thank you again!!! Lucc

Your other fish should be fine with it; I can't see any problems; it may harden your water very, very slightly, but not enough to affect your fish badly :)

No, they do actually eat it. It does dissolve in water, but only very, very slowly.

Your other fish should be fine with it; I can't see any problems; it may harden your water very, very slightly, but not enough to affect your fish badly :)
Ok. thanks a lot. One more thing ..... I can sea the cuttlefish actualy floats (I am still soaking it to get rid of the salt).... so I guess the best thing would be to put some gravel on top to hold it down? Thanks Lucc

Yes, you could use gravel, or tie it to a rock ;)

Most reactions

Back