Current Stocking For Malawi Tank

a.wagg

Reaction score
Hey all, I just completed my fishless cycle on a 90 gallon Malawi tank with sump, and bought some fish from an LFS, and a U.S. online seller livefishdirect.com. They all arrived fine, even after hearing some horror stories from ordering fish online. Anyways my current stocking is:

3x Protomelas taeniolatus "Tangerine Tiger" (one dead after suspected bullying, so currently have 3) (unsexed)
3x Metriaclima sp. ''msobo' (1 male, 2 female)
4x Copadichromis Borleyi "Borleyi Red Fin" (unsexed)
4x Otopharynx Lithobates "Aristo Yellow Blaze" (unsexed)
3x Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi "Eureka Red Jake" (one showing strong male color at 2", others are rather dull. Hopefully 1 male, 2 female)
4x Melanochromis johanni "Electric Blue Johanni" (said that males are pretty extreme bullyers, crossing my fingers for a good ratio, these are unsexed)
3x Labidochromis Caeruleus "Electric Yellow" (unsexed, one seems like major hybrid without black top fin. Any ideas?)
2x Synodontis Ocellifer (really frightened, major hiders. Any ideas?)

I definitely did my research before buying these fish, so hopefully no major problems. Don't think that any fish will hybridize, but the cats will eat most of the fry either way. I have a breeding tank when need be. Anyways, I was looking for some more stocking for this tank. This makes 26 fish total, and I expect some deaths by bullying, so was looking for another 10 or so malawis. I was thinking:

4x Metriaclima Hajomaylandi (Mbuna, aggressive breeders, seem fit for my rock filled tank)
4x Mylochromis ericotaenia (fairly docile for cichlids, not much info out there...)
4x Tramitichromis Intermedius (also known as Lethrinops Intermedius)

Hey all, I just completed my fishless cycle on a 90 gallon Malawi tank with sump, and bought some fish from an LFS, and a U.S. online seller livefishdirect.com. They all arrived fine, even after hearing some horror stories from ordering fish online. Anyways my current stocking is:

3x Protomelas taeniolatus "Tangerine Tiger" (one dead after suspected bullying, so currently have 3) (unsexed)
3x Metriaclima sp. ''msobo' (1 male, 2 female)
4x Copadichromis Borleyi "Borleyi Red Fin" (unsexed)
4x Otopharynx Lithobates "Aristo Yellow Blaze" (unsexed)
3x Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi "Eureka Red Jake" (one showing strong male color at 2", others are rather dull. Hopefully 1 male, 2 female)
4x Melanochromis johanni "Electric Blue Johanni" (said that males are pretty extreme bullyers, crossing my fingers for a good ratio, these are unsexed)
3x Labidochromis Caeruleus "Electric Yellow" (unsexed, one seems like major hybrid without black top fin. Any ideas?)
2x Synodontis Ocellifer (really frightened, major hiders. Any ideas?)

I definitely did my research before buying these fish, so hopefully no major problems. Don't think that any fish will hybridize, but the cats will eat most of the fry either way. I have a breeding tank when need be. Anyways, I was looking for some more stocking for this tank. This makes 26 fish total, and I expect some deaths by bullying, so was looking for another 10 or so malawis. I was thinking:

4x Metriaclima Hajomaylandi (Mbuna, aggressive breeders, seem fit for my rock filled tank)
4x Mylochromis ericotaenia (fairly docile for cichlids, not much info out there...)
4x Tramitichromis Intermedius (also known as Lethrinops Intermedius)

You have certainly got a mix of malawi's there, few haps/peacocks and mbuna certainly not uncommon as there are many set-ups like this with a mix of fish. In saying this there could be a couple of issues with the Protomelas taeniolatus/Copadichromis Borleyi as they do tend to get large and may get to big for your aquarium if you plan on keeping them with the malawis you have listed above. The msobo, johanni and labs will no doubt interbreed with one another as all the females look very similar especially the msobo and johanni but you said the synos should eat them so that's hopefully ok, but if some do survive i wouldn't plan on keeping the fry unless you want to or if you sell them on don't forget to point out that they are hybrids (there is too many out there already). If you want to keep the 3 species together that's up to you, just keep an eye on the male johanni's and msobo as they could fight with one another a lot. They are both pretty dominant fish+ look very similar. Guessing your 90G is a 4ft yes? Would you not want to keep just mbuna? or just haps/peacocks? Would make it a lot easier on what to stock lol.. If not id try find some smaller species of the haps/peacocks and less aggressive mbuna that are less likely to harass them. Ill let you reply first then see what goes with what.
Not trying to say everything's wrong blah blah blah, just needs a little tweaking to make it easier on you and the fish :good:

You have certainly got a mix of malawi's there, few haps/peacocks and mbuna certainly not uncommon as there are many set-ups like this with a mix of fish. In saying this there could be a couple of issues with the Protomelas taeniolatus/Copadichromis Borleyi as they do tend to get large and may get to big for your aquarium if you plan on keeping them with the malawis you have listed above. The msobo, johanni and labs will no doubt interbreed with one another as all the females look very similar especially the msobo and johanni but you said the synos should eat them so that's hopefully ok, but if some do survive i wouldn't plan on keeping the fry unless you want to or if you sell them on don't forget to point out that they are hybrids (there is too many out there already). If you want to keep the 3 species together that's up to you, just keep an eye on the male johanni's and msobo as they could fight with one another a lot. They are both pretty dominant fish+ look very similar. Guessing your 90G is a 4ft yes? Would you not want to keep just mbuna? or just haps/peacocks? Would make it a lot easier on what to stock lol.. If not id try find some smaller species of the haps/peacocks and less aggressive mbuna that are less likely to harass them. Ill let you reply first then see what goes with what.
Not trying to say everything's wrong blah blah blah, just needs a little tweaking to make it easier on you and the fish :good:
Yeah, I'm definitely new to the African Cichlid scene. Thanks for all your help though.

First, is there a major reason to not put mbuna and haps/peacocks together in the same tank? Theres enough rocks for the mbuna, and quite a bit of open water space too. This tank is older and 5' not 4' like the newer tanks. So yeah, this might be an issue with the Protomelas taeniolatus/Copadichromis Borleyi because its only 12" in depth. Overall the dimensions are 5'x18"x12". A cichlid-forum article says that they get around 5-6" in the wild, but get bigger in an aquarium, so I may be pushing it.

Secondly, yeah, I could see some issues with the Johanni and Msobo because they both seem like aggressive fish. Maybe should I take back the Johanni's or put them in another tank? They also look pretty similar so yeah, I can definately see problems like you said. The labs are very small right now (0.5"), so maybe both the johanni and the labs should be re-homed?

Yeah, I'm definitely new to the African Cichlid scene. Thanks for all your help though.

First, is there a major reason to not put mbuna and haps/peacocks together in the same tank? Theres enough rocks for the mbuna, and quite a bit of open water space too. This tank is older and 5' not 4' like the newer tanks. So yeah, this might be an issue with the Protomelas taeniolatus/Copadichromis Borleyi because its only 12" in depth. Overall the dimensions are 5'x18"x12". A cichlid-forum article says that they get around 5-6" in the wild, but get bigger in an aquarium, so I may be pushing it.

Secondly, yeah, I could see some issues with the Johanni and Msobo because they both seem like aggressive fish. Maybe should I take back the Johanni's or put them in another tank? They also look pretty similar so yeah, I can definately see problems like you said. The labs are very small right now (0.5"), so maybe both the johanni and the labs should be re-homed?

Your welcome happy to help.

No not at all, some people like myself prefer to keep either mbuna or haps/peacocks but there is so many setups out there with both the groups mixed together and they can look amazing. Just sometimes the mbuna can be a little boisterous/over powering for the haps/peacocks as some are a lot more placid than the mbuna but some can give just as much back which is a good thing. That's good if your compensating for both the mbuna/haps at least then the mbuna have a place to retreat to and the haps/peacocks a place to swim openly. 5Ft is actually better at least then they have a larger area to swim around + you can have rocky areas and open areas with it been a longer aquarium. Yeah you could be pushing it a little, if it was me id sell on the Borleyi and taeniolatus and replace them, maybe add to your existing species or add an extra species of mbuna or a smaller hap/peacock species. The Otopharynx Lithobates and Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Eureka do get larger to but not as big as the others so they should be fine (both nice species to) Well that is entirely up to you, do you add the johanni to another tank/sell them on or do you add the msobo to another tank or sell them on?? Your decision :D Id definitely pass on the labs though very nice fish but IMO not as nice as the johanni and msobo.

Ok, so the Johanni are going into a new tank. Found another chomped Protomelas taeniolatus today, and I'm almost sure its them. That tank hasn't had fish for awhile, so I'm waiting for it to cycle using 3 ppm ammonia or so... For now, what do you think I should do? Isolate them in the sump? Actually an ok possibility... Just don't want any of those tigers or other haps/peacocks to die. I think the Protomelas taeniolatus/Copadichromis Borleyi will be alright, because this tank has quite a bit of open water, and my tank can easily hold a 6" or so fish. Seem alright?

some nice fish there and interesting names too never heard of an eureka red jake?

The main problem with keeping mbuna with haps and peacocks is the aggressiveness of the mbuna, the haps and peacocks for the most part a more laid back. This could lead to the haps and peacocks not showing full color potential and being out competed for food. Having this mix can be successful if you pick lower aggression mbuna and pull any trouble makers or anyone that is beat up badly.

Ok, so the Johanni are going into a new tank. Found another chomped Protomelas taeniolatus today, and I'm almost sure its them. That tank hasn't had fish for awhile, so I'm waiting for it to cycle using 3 ppm ammonia or so... For now, what do you think I should do? Isolate them in the sump? Actually an ok possibility... Just don't want any of those tigers or other haps/peacocks to die. I think the Protomelas taeniolatus/Copadichromis Borleyi will be alright, because this tank has quite a bit of open water, and my tank can easily hold a 6" or so fish. Seem alright?

Not sure on what to do with the Johanni :( so the tank your wanting to put them in is cycling? Do you not have any friends tanks to look after the fish? or use media and water from your current set-up to set your other aquarium?? Yeah your tank has got a decent length so the fish could be ok just make sure there not been attacked by the mbuna.

Yeah, exactly right. And I have a fishy friend, but his single tank is full of tetras and gouramis... etc so the johanni will definitely not work. And I was trying to see if I could seed that tank, but it's one of those penguin canister filters on top, and it can only fit around 3-4 bioballs, which is the only bio-filtration the 90 gallon has :( . Kinda at a loss here... just hopefully that tank cycles fast.

Most reactions

Back