Crowntail crossed with Halfmoon?

Bettabelieveit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone would know what a CT and a HM would look like? I was looking at my newest CT (who isn't named just yet.) and his fins seems to have the... girth (for lack of a better word at the moment) of a HM when he flares, and I was just wondering if it was possible he could be crossed with one, and if there's any real way to tell? :)

Attachments

• newct1.jpg
    newct1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,191
Well, the thing is that most Crowntails are Delta-tail based. Meaning that the Crowntail gene is entirely separate from the Delta-tail gene, but, due to selective breeding, they usually are paired together. You can also have a Veiltail Crowntail, or a Plakat Crowntail, but they are not often bred for, so most of our Crowntails are Deltas with Crowntail trait.

Halfmoons are based off of Delta tails in that, in order to get a Halfmoon, you have to have Deltas. But Crowntail trait is independent of tail types. It is entirely possible that your boy has the spread of an HM. Whether he has the Crowntail gene or not (and he OBVIOUSLY does) is irrelevant in determining the Halfmoon spread.

If his tail opens up to an entire 180 degree spread, then he's a Halfmoon. A true Halfmoon is somewhat rare, however, so it's possible he's just a Super Delta, which, I believe are those that have a tail spread of 150-179 degrees.

Thanks for the info! that was quite informative indeed :) I'm guessing he's very, very HM, SD, because of his span. atleast much more so than the rest of my CT's and any other CT's I've seen :)

The Crowntails do vary in their spreads quite a bit. I have some that are most certainly Super Delta, but I also have some that are such a pitiful Delta they often look like Veils (no spread at all to speak of).

The fish in the link is TECHNICALLY a Combtail Halfmoon, which means he carries Crowntail trait, but not in a full measure that would result in a Crowntail.

Most reactions

Back