Cracks in aquarium?

fishtime!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I bought this 20 G tank used, and it seemed to be in pretty good condition and there are no leaks. Today I noticed two divots in the outer glass on one edge of the tank. Do these look concerning to anyone? I'm not sure how they got there or how long they've been there for. I had to take out all the water and re-do the substrate last week so maybe I nicked it when I was doing that, but I didn't notice it at the time.

I've been cycling and getting this tank ready for a while and I was just about to add fish.....is it a bad idea to continue with this aquarium? Thanks! IMG_3281.jpg

Are there any cracks radiating from the divots ? And how deep are they ?

If your glass is 6 to 9 mm, I think It could be OK. As long as the tank is seating on something that is solid and does not warp under it's weight, to be sure to create the least stress points possible.

Personally, I have never heard a mini divot causing catastrophic failure or leaks.

If your glass is 6 to 9 mm, I think It could be OK. As long as the tank is seating on something that is solid and does not warp under it's weight, to be sure to create the least stress points possible.

Personally, I have never heard a mini divot causing catastrophic failure or leaks.
Ok that's a huge relief - thanks for your help~

What he said .

The chips in the glass are nothing to worry about. However, the cream coloured silicon (glue holding the glass together) and air bubbles in the silicon should be watched. The air bubbles are small and there's only a few but it they get bigger, it's a concern.

The cream/ white silicon is not a good sign and usually means it is degrading. The silicon should be firm to touch but slightly squishy if it's good. If the silicon is hard and brittle and doesn't squish in a little bit when you press it with your finger, then it's not good. Fortunately the cream silicon seams to be on the inside of the tank and not between the sheets of glass. This might have been caused by chemicals used in the aquarium. If the silicon between the sheets of glass turns cream/ white, then it's time to worry.

The chips in the glass are nothing to worry about. However, the cream coloured silicon (glue holding the glass together) and air bubbles in the silicon should be watched. The air bubbles are small and there's only a few but it they get bigger, it's a concern.

The cream/ white silicon is not a good sign and usually means it is degrading. The silicon should be firm to touch but slightly squishy if it's good. If the silicon is hard and brittle and doesn't squish in a little bit when you press it with your finger, then it's not good. Fortunately the cream silicon seams to be on the inside of the tank and not between the sheets of glass. This might have been caused by chemicals used in the aquarium. If the silicon between the sheets of glass turns cream/ white, then it's time to worry.
Thanks Colin. I'm attaching a picture of a different side - does this look concerning to you? Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 11.02.56 AM.png

Silicone can turn yellow or white over time, but if it's accompanied by cracking or feels brittle, it's not good.

Gently press on the silicone bead. If it detaches from the glass at all, it's not secure.

There are a couple places you can see dirt as entered between the silicone and the glass.

I don't see any cracking, but If it takes off too easily, it could be of concern.

A little concerning. Do as Malok suggested and touch the silicon to see if it's hard or slightly squishy. It will probably be ok for a while but if it's hard and brittle you might look into resealing it in the near future. but watch the creamy area between the glass, if it starts to get worse, then panic.

A little concerning. Do as Malok suggested and touch the silicon to see if it's hard or slightly squishy. It will probably be ok for a while but if it's hard and brittle you might look into resealing it in the near future. but watch the creamy area between the glass, if it starts to get worse, then panic.
Haha ok thanks so much. I'm just going to get a new tank (I've learned my lesson with buying used) because I don't think I really have the eye to see if its changing, and I've never resealed before. AND because this tank is in my office, and I don't think my boss would be too happy to pay for water damage.

Oh I meant to follow up, with getting a new tank are there any brands to stay away from? I was just going to go to petco and grab probably an aqueon branded tank. (I would go to my LFS but unfortunately it is an hour away)

Every country has their own brand of tank. Get one with a warranty if you can.

The tank will probably be ok for a while but try the silicon squish test first. If it's firm but slightly squishy, it's a good sign.

Every country has their own brand of tank. Get one with a warranty if you can.

The tank will probably be ok for a while but try the silicon squish test first. If it's firm but slightly squishy, it's a good sign.
Yes it is still slightly squishy, it's just that I'm moving to a new office in a few days and figure that's a good time to re-do everything anyways

Most reactions

Back