Cracked Juwel Rekord 70

Ark

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i found an old rekord 70 in my garage last week and i thought i could use it for a planted tank.
i was checking to see whether it was still water tight or not and as i was filling it up on the glass there was a stone underneath that i didnt see it i filled the tank to the brim and let it stand. about 4 hours later i came back and the whole tank was empty and the piece of glass was cracked in the middle not all the way to the edges.

i want to fix it so i have 3 options

1) glue the crack together with aquarium sealant

2) get rid of the cracked glass and glue a new pane were the old one was

3) glue the cracked glass together and stick another piece of glass underneath it.

which do you think would be the safest one and the one most likely to be watertight.

also the brace at the bottom and the top have both been removed..

thanks Ark

personally i would fit a new pice of glass and replace the braces too.
Scott

To be honest I would just buy a new tank of the same size, saves the bother of glueing a new pane on a tank of a size that can be bought cheap anyway.

i was thinking of just chucking the tank away but i dont want to spend £70 on another rekord i thought about going for a clearseal one for p@h but i have everything for the juwel already..
also i like the juwel build quality over those bespoke glass ones..

ive gone for 3rd option for added safety. will post pics wen ive finshed.
im back to school tommorow so i cant do it till next saturday

Yeh id just get a clearseal and a powerfull internal (Eheim aquaball/fluval etc). If you managed to get one with the same dimensions you could keep the stand and hood :)

I guess it comes down to how well you want to sleep at night...

You know, wondering if your going to need to call the repair man in to replace the now ruined floor of your living room :)

Most reactions

Back