Could Use A Little Advice Please :)

magicthise

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was hoping for a little advice as I'm reletively new to fish keeping.

I have set up a new tank, and after a month I have introduces eight red eye tetra, which seem fine and healthy, and I am considering adding another four in a month or so.

I understand these fish can be a little "Nippy". I was hoping for a little advice on which species would make good tank mates for the tetra's in a few months. Would swordtails be unacceptable for example?

Also I would like something like an algae eater, possibly some kind of loach that would be happy with these fish.

The tank is 100 litres (UK), which is about 26.5 US gallons I think. It has a fine gravel substrate (no undergravel filter, heard they were a pain), internal filter, two air bricks, and six plants. The tank is heated and is currently at 25C, which the tetra's seem happy with.

Any advice would be welcome, thank you in advance.

Magic

:hi: to TFF

First off I would say that you need to get a liquid test kit with tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so you can keep an eye on these levels at the moment whilst your tank is still cycling. Don't be tempted to add any more fish yet until you have tested for these levels as too many fish too soon is a guaranteed disaster. Algae eater wise I would say that good options include the following catfish: otos and bristlenose plecs.

With those tetras the general advice seems to be not to keep them with small (less than 2") or long finned, slow moving species. They need to be kept with larger species such as rainbow fish, barbs and gouramis

Also, read through all the pinned topics / faqs in this forum and the Tropical Chat one, as you will learn loads of basic knowledge from them.

:good:

I wouldn't get Otos for a relatively new tank. They are very sensitive fish to water parameters and really would be best for a matured tank (6-9 months old) as the water parameters would've settled a little and there will be les changes from any bacteria colonies building up in the substrate etc.

As an example with a planted tank, they can be very sensitive if you add just a little too many nitrates (which bacteria colonies produce) and can start to lose their colour a little.

Small plecs are more hardy (I keep pitbuls and otos)

Pitbull Plecs only grow to 3" max although they need to be in groups of 3 or more and can also be hard to source.

Andy

Bristlenose are good algae eaters, but many don't like the look of the bristles, if that is the case then get a female, they are great fish, i bred them a few years ago, great at keeping algae down :good:

Most reactions

Back