Could My Sage Lfs Be Right?

lemond68

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As I went over to buy some plants at my local store (not a pet store, the B&D in Seattle only sells tropical fish) I asked them about my set up.

they told me that my Fluval 305 is too small for my 72g tank, and that I should get the largest filter i could afford and likely an external filter like i have and a second waterfall filter (they recommend the aqua quip and that these are the only ones they use).
they also recommended a source of water agitation like a Whisper or Tetra Air pump for better oxygenation.

they also told me that the best filter is the aquaclear waterfall style filter.

this begs the original question that i posed a few days ago, how does efficient oxygenation occur in the setting of no surface water agitation as is the case with the Fluval 305 external filter.

(as i was buying "stuff" to beautify the tank, they told there are no safe stones or slate for tropical aquariums, and they are not good for fish)

what is the consensus of this group?

Well, I tried to answer my own question... I bought a Whisper 100 air-pump with an Air stone... yup, the tank is agitated all right... hmmm.

oxygenation is always good, there's nothing wrong with that if your not keeping plants. the comment about the rocks not being good for the fish, that's BS. there are 3 types of stone that will not effect the water parameters of your aquarium; granite, quartz and grey slate. if you have a doubt about a certain rock, get yourself some hydrochloric acid (or vinegar, but the acid works better) and place a few drops onto the rock... if it fizzes in any way, then it will change parameters. if it doesn't, then your good to go.

If you're using the biggest filter you can afford, it should provide a good deal of surface agitation itself, or you can play with the outlets (or add a spray bar) to get good agitation. The filter on my 30 gallon actually created too much movement, even without an airstone. My killifish wouldn't stay near the surface and two hatchetfish jumped out and were eaten by the cat almost as soon as they were wet.

this begs the original question that i posed a few days ago, how does efficient oxygenation occur in the setting of no surface water agitation as is the case with the Fluval 305 external filter

Hi, I have a fluval 305 ext, and have plenty of surface agitation. Have you tried cutting the outtake hose shorter and angling the nozzle higher. Ive never had a problem with it.

As for the rocks/slate as already said, load of poop LOL.

this begs the original question that i posed a few days ago, how does efficient oxygenation occur in the setting of no surface water agitation as is the case with the Fluval 305 external filter

Hi, I have a fluval 305 ext, and have plenty of surface agitation. Have you tried cutting the outtake hose shorter and angling the nozzle higher. Ive never had a problem with it.

As for the rocks/slate as already said, load of poop LOL.

that idea is just crazy enough to work! :look:

maybe my lfs does not know everything....

Most reactions

Back