Corydora Egg Question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello! I was watching my 29 gallon tank this evening when I noticed my Trilineatus corydora and my Schwartzi corydora spawning. So far I've collected 47 eggs and I've moved them to a hatching tank. It's 3 gallons with an air stone.

Since this is a crossbreed, is there a chance that these eggs are viable?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm going to go scientific on you. They are Corydoras. The 's' isn't an English plural. One Corydoras, two...

They would not be crossbreeds, but species crosses. The various Corydoras aren't breeds, unless you look at albino versus regular colour types. While it's possible that inter species crosses, especially with closely related Corys could survive, I'll argue they shouldn't. If I were in your situation, I would not hatch the eggs. If the hybrids were viable and got into the hobby, they could make a mess of the species as they occur in nature. Corydoras diversity is wonderful, and with hybrids, we can eliminate it.

I'd let those Corys have their fun, but I wouldn't do anything with the eggs. If you do raise them, it might be good to keep all the young to yourself. With hybrids, not sharing is caring.

I'm going to go scientific on you. They are Corydoras. The 's' isn't an English plural. One Corydoras, two...

They would not be crossbreeds, but species crosses. The various Corydoras aren't breeds, unless you look at albino versus regular colour types. While it's possible that inter species crosses, especially with closely related Corys could survive, I'll argue they shouldn't. If I were in your situation, I would not hatch the eggs. If the hybrids were viable and got into the hobby, they could make a mess of the species as they occur in nature. Corydoras diversity is wonderful, and with hybrids, we can eliminate it.

I'd let those Corys have their fun, but I wouldn't do anything with the eggs. If you do raise them, it might be good to keep all the young to yourself. With hybrids, not sharing is caring.
Thank you for the information. I definitely would not be giving any away.

Most reactions

Back