Cory Personality?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DiddleBug

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was just wondering... do corys have different personalities?  They never show aggression and they like to swim in a group.  I have had some adults (bronze/green) a few times but for the last few months I've just been raising some fry.  I have so many it's hard to know who's who and keep tabs on them. :p  

Do your corys show different personalities?  Feel free to share your thoughts or add examples of how your corys show some character. :)  

I've found mine pretty much identical!

There are a couple I recognise; one of my pandas has no barbels (my fault 
cry1.gif
 ) and one of my adolfois is a bit smaller then the rest. Apart from that, they're all the same
smile.png

Mine sit together on the rocks and swim around with eachother :)

I find that most Corys are of a good nature and don't scare easily, they may see you and swim off to hide when you approach the tank, but they are not gone for long.  My Peppereds and Loxozonus will eat from your hand if you give them bloodworms.
The only exception to the rule I have found is the Schwartzi.  They seem to be the shyest fish in the world !
Ive had a group of 6 for a while and no matter which tank I put them in, they always go and hide as soon as you get near the tank.

I feel that all fish have different personalities, in there own little unique way... while their overall demeanor may be the same, there personalities can be quite different. Some species show more personality than others... I've never had corys, but I've kept a few other fish, goldfish, guppies, tetras, danios... and all of them had different personalities, I don't see why this wouldn't apply to corys as well. :)

My Panda corys spend most of their time sifting through the sand together.......until one decides it is fun to swim to the top of the tank to grab some oxygen, then they all play the same game!!!!!

I have 4 albino corys.  Three of them tend to hang together but the 4th is a bit of a loner.  He/she? is active and busy but is usually on the other side of the tank from the other 3.  Not sure why.  They came from the same LFS.

brittgs said:
I have 4 albino corys.  Three of them tend to hang together but the 4th is a bit of a loner.  He/she? is active and busy but is usually on the other side of the tank from the other 3.  Not sure why.  They came from the same LFS.
No need to worry about that, I always seem to have the odd one or two that just want some alone time.
As for differing personalities, I have had a couple, at present I have a Peppered that thinks he is a Cichlid. When they get frisky he will clean one leaf on the Java Fern and flare his fins and chase everyone else away.

Thanks Frapdoodle. I was beginning to wonder if the loner was ill even though active and eating.

Most reactions

Back