Cory Info For Beginners

swordtailsrock

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay, it seems to me that the same questions are asked in these forums over and over, so to help clear up the forums
I have posted some Corydoras info that everyone who needs the information, doesn't have to post it.

Okay, let's begin:

DESCRIPTION:

Corydoras are members of the catfish family, and are bottom-dwelling fish. Popular because they are active, are relatively easy to keep, will eat most food given to them and can keep a community tank clean of uneaten food. Commonly called corys, these fish are small to medium sized. Sizes range from a couple of millimeters to a few inches

HOUSING:

Corys are very peaceful fish and can be kept with almost any schooling or semi-aggressive fish, provided that the fish is not drastically bigger than the corydoras. Should be kept in groups of 6+ to make them really happy. They SHOULD NOT be kept with huge goldfish or koi, or any other fish much bigger than the cory, as they may try to eat the corydoras and the cory, being a catfish, has spines on it's fins and can stab the goldfish or koi. You may end up losing both your fish in the process. If you are keeping corys in a species only tank then the bottom should have sand or small rounded pebbles, to avoid damage to the barbels you should not use sharp gravel. Sand would be your best option. if you have a community tank, you should have a small patch of soft substrate (sand!) for the corys to feed in. Should not be kept with mollies or other salt or brackish water fish, because corys have an almost ZERO tolerence level to salt.

BREEDING:

Corys are generally easy to breed, they will even spawn sometimes without the keeper knowing! Seperate the males and females for a week or so and feed them foods with lots of protein, such as: brine shrimp, blood worms, black worms, and frozen brine shrimp. Set up a small tank, usually 10 gallons or less, without gravel and with a cycled sponge filter. Add an airstone to help induce spawning, and turn it and the filter up to full blast. Make the temperature about 5 degrees cooler in this tank than in their regular tanks. Once you add the fish, they usually will spawn in a frenzy. A little while after you add the fish, they should assume the T-position. The T-position is the position corydoras assume when mating, after this encounter, the female goes and lays her eggs on the glass and on any plants in the tank. Corys are egg eaters and should be removed from the eggs as soon as the female has finished. Oddly, corys may eat eggs but will not eat fry.

SEXING:

To tell between a male and a female cory, put them in a small container and look at them from above. The female will be bigger and fatter than the male. Another method is to look at the dorsal and pectoral fins, the males fins will be more pointed and the females will be pointed but slightly, this is not the best method, though. Females also when filled with roe (eggs) should be plump and have a belly that will keep their nose off the gravel when resting.

FEEDING:

Corys should not be treated like scavengers to pick up what other fish leave behind, they should be fed separately with their own special food. Corys will eat any live fish food available, including: brine shrimp, blood worms, black worms, white worms and other small wriggling creatures. They will also eat any frozen varieties of these live foods. Nonliving foods (exluding frozen) they will eat are: catfish pellets, algae wafers, sunken flake, peas, and some cucumber. Peas and cucumber should be fed only once a week. One shelled pea for 1 cory, as for cucumber give them a pea-sized piece.
Any uneaten food should be removed immediately. Algae wafers should also be fed once a week.

That's it, any questions you may have regarding corys I'll be sure to answer them. :good:

Very helpful, thank you. I'm hoping to get some pygmy cories when my new tank has finally finished cycling. :nod:
Liz

thanks, I just need a mod to get this pinned! :good:
Greetings. Not to demean your effort, but this is generic info of the most basic sort which can be found on hundreds of sites. Don't really see any need for making it a sticky. Again, no offense intended, but you are acting like it is the "holy grail" of Cory info. JMHO. - Frank

some of the facts arent actually correct in this and may need some more research but excellent start :good:

EXAMPLE - Popular because they are hardy --- corys still need excellent water quality and some like pandas arent very hardy at all

also breeding them ---- you DO NOT need to seperate them for a week - they can breed easily in a species only or community tank with good water a couple of times a month as mine do
The eggs can be removed from the glass by rolling them up the side with your finger - there are lots of other things about corys that really should be added before this would get pinned

CORYS also like to be kept in groups to make them happy - 6+ is ideal if you have the room

good luck
Sarah x

i think you should disable your sig in the first post.

as pippoodle said some of the info is incorrect. although as coryologist said, this is basic information.

how many peas per cory are we looking at here (once a week obviously)

ill be getting some corys once my tank is cycled.. how many corys would people recomend for a 90L tank (60 long x 30CM wide)

some of the facts arent actually correct in this and may need some more research but excellent start :good:

EXAMPLE - Popular because they are hardy --- corys still need excellent water quality and some like pandas arent very hardy at all

also breeding them ---- you DO NOT need to seperate them for a week - they can breed easily in a species only or community tank with good water a couple of times a month as mine do
The eggs can be removed from the glass by rolling them up the side with your finger - there are lots of other things about corys that really should be added before this would get pinned

CORYS also like to be kept in groups to make them happy - 6+ is ideal if you have the room

good luck
Sarah x
\

like I said they might even breed on their own, what I'm saying is that this is how to induce them to spawn.

but thanks, I will edit the post

-Aleks

Not all of them get up to 3 in.

Again, not all will, but that is the maximum size for almost all corys
-Aleks

I wasn't going to mention the misstatements, but . . . . . . - F.

please do, so I can edit this

-aleks

Most reactions

Back