Coral sAND!!!!

snotirl

Fish Addict
Reaction score
A about 2 weeks ago i changed my cold water tank from stones to coral sand. Its was all going grand up to about a week ago when the water started going white. My fish where acting wierd as well they just stayed at the bottom hiding. yesterday i gave the tank a water change around half of the tanks water i took out. i refilled it its not as white but still is a bit white. Is there anyway of stopping the water going like this and whats up with my fish? :sly:

Did you rinse your coral sand before putting it in?

Also, try getting some sand out and pouring vinegar on it, if it fizzles, it's no good. It'll continue to dilute into your water and alter your ph and clarity.

yes i rinised it and it went clear after a few rinises. But the think is the sand was in the tank for about a week and then it went cloudy! :blink:

Coral sand is largely made of crushed coral, which is basically CaCO3. It is a poor choice of substrate for most freshwater set ups. I guess It would be okay in a rift tank though.

I had thought coral was for salt water tanks. Well, if its just some icky cloudyness you can use some cloud-remover that clumps all debris and sucks it up into the filter. Worked in about 3 hours for me :D

As Lateral Line was getting at coral sand will raise the pH in your tank to a unsuitable level for most tropical species, although it is fine to use as a substrate for rift valley (African lake) cichlids which preffer the pH between 7.5 and 8.5 (depending on which lake they come from) most tropical fish preffer a pH of no more than 7.2 and will be uncomfortable in a higher pH.
The white cloud sounds like it could be a bacterial bloom, a large portion of the benefitial bacteria in your tank live in the substrate and by changing the substrate in a established tank you could have set off a mini cycle.

I think CFC just pinned that one for you, I think the bacteria bloom is exactly what is happening. :nod:

me three that is y it has taken me 3 weeks to do half the tank as i am doing it at the rate of about 1/4-1/3 every other week.

Well how fo i keep this under control and will it kill my fish. By the way its a cold water tank

I could someone answer this i need an answer quick :thumbs:

Well, what filtration have you. If you've as it would seem, you have lost a lot of beneficial bacteria, there will be a load on the rest until the populations stabilise again. You're going to need to keep changing water, and watch your ammonia and nitrite readings don't go up.

And when you have studied chemistry :book: , you know that CaCO3 is almost insoluble to water. Especially neutral or basic. 8)

week and then it went cloudy!

Bacteria?

>>> that CaCO3 is almost insoluble

It doesn't need to dissolve very much, a little does a lot of damage. It hardens water and raises pH, depending on the original tapwater - quite dramatically.

It is not suitable for the majority of freshwater setups.

Go look at some caves in limestone country and see just what can happen when water and CaCO3 meet.

>>> Bacteria?

I thought we'd already agreed that bacterial bloom was the most likely cause.

Go look at some caves in limestone country and see just what can happen when water and CaCO3 meet.

It's not water, CO2 and H2CO3 will dissolve CaCO3 (-> Ca2+ + HCO3- ....) and other chemicals such as acids.

Yes, I have been those caves (stalactite/stalagmite).. I was then... hmm... in Gibraltar.

H2CO3 - Carbonic Acid. Formed when CO2, (dissolving in at the surface and breathed out by the fish), and H2O, (correct me if I'm wrong, we have that in the tank as well), are in contact. The net result is that the conditions are favourable for CaCO3 to dissolve in sufficient quantities in an average aquarium to adversly affect the vast majority of freshwater systems.

Coral sand, limestone rocks etc., are not recommended in freshwater aquariums unless there effect is desired.

Most reactions

Back