Coral From Egypt

phishyphil

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Currently in sharm el sheikh and was wondering something. Been doing alot of diving snorkeling etc on the reef and I see alot Of dead coral on the beech . I'm confused am I allowed to pick it up and pop it in my luggage and bring it home or is it illegal? Also can u place dead coral into tropical set ups, I realize it will alter ph levels and I assume it will raise them? Which is what I want fir keepin cichlids, any help thanks people :)

I'm not sure of the legality of collecting coral; in most places it's illegal.

Anyway, you can't put it tropical tanks; not only does it dissolve and raise pH, it's too sharp and freshwater fish tend to rip themselves on it, as it's not what they've evolved to live with.

I'm not sure of the legality of collecting coral; in most places it's illegal.

Anyway, you can't put it tropical tanks; not only does it dissolve and raise pH, it's too sharp and freshwater fish tend to rip themselves on it, as it's not what they've evolved to live with.

+1

We holidayed in Sharm a couple of years ago and it is illegal to bring coral out of Egypt whether the coral is dead or not. They`re very strict on it too so it`s not even worth taking the risk :no:

I was in Sharm last October and dived for a week at Ras Mohammed. Not once did i hear it was illegal! I thought about it myself, but my honest second thought was that it was pretty heavy and i was over my luggage already!

I managed to get a huge Shisha out, but i didnt see any signs about Coral? Is it common for people to try to bring it home?

I've be to Sharm on the red sea (and i'm quite jealous of you right now) I would of said it was a serious no no to bring anything back, dead or alive :no:

james.

I was in Sharm last October and dived for a week at Ras Mohammed. Not once did i hear it was illegal! I thought about it myself, but my honest second thought was that it was pretty heavy and i was over my luggage already!

I managed to get a huge Shisha out, but i didnt see any signs about Coral? Is it common for people to try to bring it home?

We snorkelled at Ras Mohammed too and the instructors/reps told us that people breaking off bits of coral is just one of the reasons why a lot of the corals are dying or dead already, therefore no-one was permitted to take anything whether it be alive or already dead. Dead areas of coral are where a lot of sea creatures make their homes and it`s not accepted that divers/snorkellers can remove or take anything.

If you try to bring it back and they find it, they will arrest you. Its something they are fighting hard to stop, as previously said its the reason why alot of it is dead already. Egypt is the best place to dive tho, would recommend it to everyone :)

Excellent will not risk it. And I was not intending to break bits off just collect the bits that have floated to the beach but no probs :) the fish here are amazing and the water so clear, looking for turtles today :)

Most reactions

Back