copopods and amphipods

scarface1979

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
can copopods and amphipods levels be increased in a tank? (tank is 25 gallons with live sand and 22kgs of live rock)

if so how is this done thanks

deano

Yes, via a large dark rubble zone or a refugium in or above the tank that is gravity fed so they don't get put through a powerhead blender experience. Although I've heard that some underground fish clubs are serving blended pods to desperate fish as a type of narcotic. The buzz is apparently incredible.

I use a pump on my fuge and have still experienced a large growth in pod population. While I'm sure some may be damaged in the ride, many of them come out unscathed.

Does the level increase/decrease with lighting changes? (Sorry to hi-jack)
I have been keeping my lights on for shorter periods of time recently (around 4-6 hours instead of 10), and my level has seemed to increase dramatically. Does this seem reasonable, or are the two totally unrelated? If they are unrelated, what other variables could be causing it?

tell u what its a good question this i have asked lol

i'm trying the rumble in the tank to see if that works. if not mite totally re think my tank and tranfer over the big tank and get the lil tank drilled and add a refuiugm.

not sure about the lights have to look into that a lil more

thanks for the suggestion

deano

Cutting back on lighting helps the pods population grow because it cuts down on predation.

Fish are their main natural enemy, and if they have less active time to prowl, pods flourish.

I had my best pod population when I was running course crushed coral for substrate, Switching to sand seemed to reduce their hidey holes.

GL

gonna try cutting back on the hours i use for my lights and can u tell me a lil more about a pod culture kit

cheers

deano

Pod culture kits will certainly boost your pod population as well as diversity. However, setting up a "safe" area in your tank for them to breed in is the best way to assure long term results (and save a fair bit of money on kits in the process!).

Most reactions

Back