Converting

Simmo1

Reaction score
Hello all.

At the moment i have a 'Juwel Rio 125' fresh water set up. My plan is to convert to a marine tank. I am in no rush to start anything yet. Want loads of advice on equipment not to going to start thinking about stocking as I have a lot to do before.

Just a few qustions to start:

1) Is my tank big enough?

2) Does any body know how many Gal in a rio 125.

3) Whats the best way to filter the water have heard sumps are good any advice welcome.

4) Any good shops on line for equipment for the converstion.

Thankyou all

Simmo

1. yes
2. I don't know, do you know liters
3. Live rock, sump is a good extra especially in larger tanks
4. marine depot, drs. foster and smith, bigals, ebay..........etc

1. yes
2. I don't know, do you know liters
3. Live rock, sump is a good extra especially in larger tanks
4. marine depot, drs. foster and smith, bigals, ebay..........etc

Ref Q2. I think it is 125l because of the name not sure?

it surprises me that you dont know how many gallons your tank is even if you bought it. how woud you know if it was overstocked or how much to dose your tank with with stuff like meds? many people have salt tanks as low as 5 gallons

125 litres = 33.0215064 US gallons
125 litres = 27.4961447 Imperial (UK) gallons

Google is your friend 8)

Hey im thinking about doing the same i have Rio 180 set up though

US= 47.55 Gallons
UK= 39.59 Gallons

I was thinking about changing the lights that come supplied to something that hangs above and to use glass as a lid,
I was also hoping that all the extra equipment i would need would fit in the stand etc including protein skimmer (which im a bit confused about as ive seen them being fitted over the side of the tank) and wouldnt want that,

I'll be keeping an eager eye on this thread.

Daniel

If you want to know the volume of your tank, measure the dimensions in cm, then multiply them together, then divide by 1000. This will give you the volume in liters. nice 'n simple. :good:
3.8 liters in 1 US gallon
4.54 liters in one imperial gallon.

It's best to stick to liters, to avoid confusion. Proper, standardised measurement!! :good: When people mention 'gallons' here i often have no clue as to which gallon it is, esp. if they don't give a location.... :no: :grr:

I converted my 120 liter freshwater tank, and this was the extra stuff I got:

2 powerheads, one 700 liter per hour, one 1000 liter per hour
1 700 liters per hour external cannister filter - *very* handy for using things like activated charcoal and phosphate remover
1 Red sea prizm protein skimmer

Aim for a flow rate of about 20 times the tank volume.

I kept the existing flourescent light fittings, but got a marine white and a blue actinic tube, the original lights were due for renewal anyway...

Oh, yes, don't forget go get a hydrometer. Get a refractometer if you can afford it, if not get a standard one, but first get it checked against a refractometer at your lfs, I've had issues with several of them not being calibrated properly...

Thankyou all.

Not going to restock my fresh water tank. Maybe start buying the hardware for the marine set up. But dont want to give my fish away, might give the last two or three away. Had most of the fish 2 years now.

Looking forward to getting marine but it can wait (It means I have loads of time to get all the bits ready)

Thankyou all

Simmo

Most reactions

Back