Converting My 5 Footer To Fowlr Any Stocking Ideas

bae1994

Fact. Bears eat beets. Bears.Beets.Battlestar
Reaction score
well my ive recently started a small 2ft tank for corals so im gonna go for fowlr in my 5 footer

its a rio 400

ill start with the equipment

it has

a v2 400 skimmer (do i need this if im just having fish and some inverts)
a serifill 1300 external filter with lr rubble in
300w heater
powerheads that give 103x turn over an hour
and 120w of light wich is irrelivent i guess
and a a 400 or 600 uv unit

now the current stock #

1 4 inch maroon with yellow striped clown
1 3-4 inch yellow tang
1 1-2 inch common file fish
1 2 inch electric blue damsel
1 2 inch yellow damsel
1 12 inch engineer goby

a few turbo
about 20 algea hermits

id like

a porky puffer but would he eat the small fish and inverts

a trigger fish but would he do the same

id also like a cleaner wrasse

any thoughts or suggestions and such

any help apreciated thanks bae

Hey,

I think using the skimmer on your 5ft. tank would help with keeping nitrates, ect. out of the tank

for the stocking if you want a triggerfish, a Niger Trigger is less aggressive than say a Picasso trigger and although he may eat some hermits and other inverts, they wouldn't eat fish. Cleaner wrasses are very hard to keep since they rarely eat prepared foods. The maroon clownfish is a wonderful fish, tons of personality, and very hardy.

If I was lucky enough to have a 5ft tank I would add a Radiata or Antennata Lionfish :good: I LOVE LIONFISH!
Some other fish you should think about are:

Butterflyfish
Surgeonfish species other than a Zebrasoma since you already want a yellow tang.
Less aggressive species of triggerfish include: Sargassum Trigger, Blue Jaw Trigger,
Rabbitfish
Hawkfish (may eat inverts like crabs and hermits depending of species)

take a look through www.liveaquaria.com and www.thatfishplace.com they have most of the species commonly available listed.

BTW what is the gallonage of this 5ft tank?

Nick

Hi Bae

Sounds like you are going the way I would go if I didn't have my nems - I would turn my tank over to a Porky as well :wub: he will eat all your inverts, a conch might survive, but thats about it, don't suppose he would take an urchin either, but you never know :look: however, too me, it would be worth it :good: Porkies are mucky pups, so you wouldn't really want much more than you already have in the tank imo - stay away from the cleaner, they should be left in the sea imo :sad:

Really looking forward to seeing the Porky, what you going to call him?

Seffie x

ps nkd, tank is 400 litres

hi just saw this as you may have seen ive since set up a 2ft cube reef and currently considering changing my 5 foot to fw and have the 2ft as my only reef still not 100% decided yet though if so it will be after christmas probably that i swithch

Most reactions

Back