Consolidating Ideas

bymauldin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 4 bettas right now. 3 males and one female. At the time, I have all 4 of them in their own 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 gallon tanks. The tanks are lined up side by side down the wall in my kitchen. I really need another way of keeping my bettas. It's taking up so much room....besides I'm wanting another :/ . Any advice on how to better store them? If I divided a 10 gal could I fit 3 in it or would I be better off just keeping 2 in a divided 10? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You could divide a 10 gallon into 4 andit gives thme 2.5 gallons each.

get a 10gallon split it 3ways :)

keep the female in the other tank by herself :)

I split my 10 gals in 4, but if you're wanting another you could get a 20 gal long and split it into four. Each fish would have 5 gals which would be spectacular! Then you could just re-route your filter to the other end to make sure the water is flowing through the dividers, or put sponge filters in each section. You could even divide it up more and have even more fish. :)

Hmmmm.... :shifty: More fishies is always a good thing :thumbs: convincing my hubby of more fishies.... :sly: not so easy.
Looks like I may have a project coming up.

How do most of you divide your tanks? I've seen a lot of post using the plastic canvas things for rug hooking. Can the fish see through all those holes easily? I could just heavily plant around each side of it.

Hi

We have 3 tanks which are divided. Tried a number of various ways and ended up with -

We use Penn plax dividers, but not the hangers they come with. I got some black plastic A4 paper binders and used aquarium sealant to stick them in. Then cut the dividers to fit. They start off see through, but go opaque after a few weeks.

I don't use substrate, so I wanted to think of a way to make dividers that would look nice, and stay in place. I took a slate tile from Lowe's and had it cut to the width of the tank...so for a 10 gal they were 10"x1". Then I used aquarium silicone to attach the spine part of the sliding bar report covers to the slate. After letting them dry for a few days, I inserted cut to fit black plastic canvas. I also put the bar report covers on the sides. I cut slits in the top of the aquarium (the black part) to hold the canvas in place). Sounds confusing when I type it, but it really was pretty easy, and they stay in place just fine without having to permanently insert them with silicone.

I really like your idea of not permanently siliconing anything to the tank. That's why I haven't tried dividing a tank yet. I think (I think) that I understand what you're saying...I think :huh: At least I have a good idea. Do you have any pictures that you could post or send to me? That would definitely help out!

I use plastic needlepoint canvas for my dividers, and in my opinion it lets the fish see just enough of each other to keep them entertained, but not enough to make them stressed. It seems like they can only see each other if they come up really close to the divider. If you feel like they see too much of each other, you can always add more plants.

Also, the black looks better than clear if you can find it. It usually costs more than the clear- not that needlepoint canvas is ever expensive. Find some black report cover binders to match and your tank will look slick. :shifty:

Swwweeeeeeeeeeet :hey: ! I just found a lady that is going to sale me her 10 gal with all the accessories and such for $8.00 so that'll be good. Wal-Mart wants $35.00....crazy loons. Looks like I'll be dividing a tank this weekend!!!!!! :thumbs: :hyper: :kana: :yahoo:

Most reactions

Back