confused and annoyed

laboul

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As many of you know after reading previous threads, I have an ammonia problem in my tap water. Ammonia is always at about 0.25 - 0.5 ppm in my tap water. BTW all my fish have been out of hte tank for 3 days because this level of ammonia stressed them out (I think) and caused ich. Since I won't be adding my fish back to the main tank right away, I decided to drain 90% of the water to get rid of as much ich as possible after bombing the main tank with meds for 3 days straight. (Also the fish are being treated for ich in separate quanrantine tank.)

My filter was off for 20 minutes tops. It did not take long to do the water change. I conditioned my water with AmmoLock2 and I have those crystals in my filter now... they are black carbon and lighter ones that are supposed to sequester ammonia. I treated with twice the amount of ammolock. THis morning I test my water and ammonia is at 0.5 ppm :crazy: WHY??? AAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Is it possible for ammonia to show up in the test but for it to be actually sequestered and not harmful to the fish? This product claims to "detoxify ammonia, eliminate chloramine and chlorine." It also says that if there is a positive test for ammonia after use of the product, I am overfeeding or overstocking. THis is ridiculous, I just did a 90% water change and a gravel vac last week and there are no fish in the tank!!! Is there such a thing as detoxifying ammonia? I thought it had to be eliminated by conversion to nitrite. My nitrite is always 0. I have no idea how this product, AmmoLock2, works. Supposedly the ingredients are aliphatic salts.

Arrg, this is SO frustrating. I just do not know what to do.

OK, I just decided to recycle the tank all over again. If there's still a base level of ammonia there after the cycle, then I guess something is screwy with my test kit or something....

Most reactions

Back