Conflicting Advice On Tank Setup From Lfs

DarrenUnwin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
First of all, may I say this forum (including the nano tank diaries) has to be the best on the net and has inspired me to make that jump from keeping tropicals for the past 15 years to marines. Also a new addition to the family means I wont be diving in tropical waters for a while so its a good time to ease my withdrawal symptoms by having a reminder of that fantastic under water world. Any how, heres my problem.

After researching the net, purchasing books (so I dont look the idiot when talking to people re marines) I finally visited my LFS to discuss my marine setup plans and basically I have had 2 lots of conflicting advice :S. One LFS has recommended an Aqua one AR850 with its intergrated wet\dry filter (plus nitrite reducer pack) and live rock\sand to act as the filter medium, no skimmer as the rock and in tank filter should be sufficent (I think this is the berlin system?). The LFS said he would ensure the lighting requirements were sorted so I'm not too worried about this at the moment but as I do not have much space to house the tank (replacing the existing tropical 3ft tank) I thouht this was a good option with everything inside the tank and particularly as he had a simular setup in the shop which looked very healthy.

However after visiting my other LFS (for a new clamp for my RO unit) we had a long chat and they suggested that this setup wasnt really suitable and required a skimmer to work properly but were unable to provide one to fit the AR850 due to its internal wet\dry filter in the tank hood. Their option was for a different Aqua one, Juwel or Aqua Medic tank, but also for it to be open topped (again with live rock\sand) , protein skimmer and sump filter, lighting being provided by a suspended unit.

The later option would not fit neatly into the space and the wife is a little unsure of having an open tank especially with the new baby. Either way I have purchased two Hydor heater\pumps and two maxijet powerheads on wave cycle electrical supply, RO unit and intend using live rock\sand regardless of tank type.

However I do not want to install a setup that would cause any of the fish or coral to be unhealthy but as you can see I'm unsure of which to choose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your time and patience with a newbie to marine keeping. :)

Hi....I have a nano cube..only 24 gallons, but, I have some opinions if that would be helpful. I'm not a big 'filter' fan per se, wet/dry, trickle or otherwise. My understanding is that they can do the job so well that they can accumulate nitrates. Live rock, powerheads and a good protein skimmer should do the trick. Having a sump is more work but beneficial IMO in that you can hide your filter media and equipment there. Don't like that 'filtration in the hood' setup.

Having an open hood is OK..just may increase evaporative loss. ...the main risk tho' is having your fish do the parkay floor tango, ie, jumping out. Some people put electrical egg crate over their tanks or raise the sides with plexiglass or decorative wook hoods

HI and welcome to the forum.
Ok well basically both shops are right... the wet dry system might seem a litle datged now and is often overlooked but i know a couple of system that incorperate a wet dry tank with no nitrate troubles. The good thing about a wet dry filter is that the bacteria will use up oxygen fro outside the tank rather than competing with the fish should the bacteria be housed inside the tank. The other good thing about this type of system is that it can cope with rapidly changing tank conditions whereas more natural systems sometimes cant react in time should an imalance occur.

This however is not the Berlin method. The Berlin method is a tank, liverock and skimmer. very simple and very natural.

A sump is a very very good idea. It increases the tank volume for biological purposes you can hide the tanks equipment in the sump also and of course you can have other sorts of filtration methods inside the sump and the addition of a sump means that things such as PH become more stable.

To cut the story short, there is no right nor wrong way with either of these tanks so i urge you to consider the pro's and cons of both systems and see what best suits you.

Navarre & Steelhealr,

Many thanks to both of you for the advice, I'm really glad that both methods will work as I have used both LFS for some time and you know how you build up a relationship, especially having tropicals and outside pond for some years.

I'm probably going to opt for the open top \ skimmer \ sump and build a small hood just to shield the lighting unit but not enclose it for the heat to get out. The wife is still a little unsure but with a bunch of flowers and chocies I'm pretty sure she'll be OK with it.

Once again, many thanks for the advice. :thumbs:

No problem...welcome aboard. Take some pix as you put it together. SH

We are glad to be of help. The choice you have made is a very good beginners choice, it allows for very stable conditions and also a very natural way of nutrient extraction.

Your wife will undoubtedly have reservations and at first the setup will take some getting used to but once the mechanics are resolved you can easily hide the unsightly pipework, sumps and lights etc. There is no reason at all why these parts of hte system can be completly hidden fro view, many tanks operate such a system and when viewing them you would never know that they have got extra components bolted onto the tank .

I found that by involving hte wife in the project.... choosing a few of hte future fish/corals, asking her advice on the type of cabinet etc goes a long way to making her appreciate the hobby alot more.. My wife even went out and bought her own nano she became so involved in it :lol:

Hi all, this forum never ceases to amaze me with the nice people and expert knowledge in its replys, anyhow,

Just thought I would give an update as steelhealr suggested and heres my first pics of the tank just after setting up the hardware and adding RO water. In the end I went with the closest LFS and the one who looked to have the best setup in shop, the otherthing is that you can spend all you time looking and not much doing, so out came the credit card and here it goes. The setup is as follows

Deltec MCE600 Skimmer
Aqua One T5 over tank lighting rig
Aqua one 650 canister filter with spray bar
2 x Hydor EKIP200 heaters (with pumps)
2 x maxijet powerheads.
1 wave generating power adpator (for power heads).

Once I have filled and checked with the test kits I have 2 bags of Carib Sea live sand ready to go in, but I dont intend rushing for rushing sake. However I do have one question before I order my live rock.

I didnt realise that the canister I purchased came with its media as a "special offer" and consists of one basket of black bio balls, one basket of small ceramic cylinder pieces and one basket containing a sponge type filter. I have read elsewhere that this type of biological media could cause problems if used in conjunction with live rock and may actual generate nitrates unless cleaned every other day. Your advice on what filter media to use would be greatly appeciated.

Meanwhile once again thanks in advance for the reply and heres the pic. Hopefully one day I will be able to return the favor.

Most reactions

Back