Compatibility Question

brittlestar

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All, thanks for all your superb advice so far :good:

We are currently in the process of setting up our 55UKgal reef tank, and have a compatibility question, obviously this is months in advance but just want to know now what fish we can have.

Once the clean up crew have been in a while we will be adding a pair of perculas. Next we want to add a coral beauty, a few green chromis, then a yellow tang. My hubby also likes the look of the foxface rabbitfish, as long as by that time we aren't overstocked, as it looks similar to a butterflyfish. Is this a type of angelfish, and if so, surely it would attack the coral beauty? Or the yellow tang is its similar coloured? Is it invertebrate friendly? We will have some shrimps, crabs and snails. Please advise, thanks :)

Those fish are all compatible with each other, however I wouldnt put the tang in there. They need a little more space than 55g IMO. The foxface and coral beauty would be great fish in that size tank though :) A foxface is not related to either a coral beauty or tang, different genus' entirely

The foxface is in the rabbitfish family. I wouldn't add this fish in 50g at all.

some info

The Foxface Rabbitfish, also known as the Foxface Lo, has a very unique body color. It has a mottled yellow-brown body with a dark chest. The face is very light in color and speckled on the lower half.

It may reside in a 70 gallon or larger aquarium. It is a very peaceful species except when housed with other rabbitfish. The Foxface Rabbitfish may be housed with more aggressive fish. Its predators will tend to leave it alone because of its venomous dorsal spines. Rabbitfish are generally reef-safe if they are well fed. If not, it is possible for them to nip at and consume some species of LPS and soft corals.

The Foxface Rabbitfish diet consists of a variety of fresh vegetables and algae. It does nip and possibly eat some soft and hard coral polyps.

I don't see anything wrong with adding a tang in that tank size if you get a very small one.

Here's some info on the fish

The Yellow Tang, also known as the Yellow Hawaiian Tang, Yellow Sailfin Tang, or Yellow Surgeonfish, has an oval bright yellow body. It is widespread throughout Hawaii to Indonesia and The Great Barrier Reef.

A 50 gallon or larger aquarium is necessary to provide plenty of swimming room. It is aggressive towards its own species, or Tangs in general, and it is best to keep only one per tank.

In its natural habitat, the Yellow Tang grazes on algae and small invertebrates. In the tank, it needs a varied diet high in beta-carotene and vitamin C, and low in protein matter. To maintain its bright coloration, however, it must keep to a strict herbivore diet to prevent fading. Therefore, the diet of the Yellow Tang should consist of dried and frozen herbivore food that contains marine algae, and vegetarian items such as Spirulina, zucchini, broccoli, leaf lettuce, and dried seaweed.

If you do get a Coral Beauty and a Yellow Tang. Add the Tang in last as they may fight. My went it for 2 days now they love each other.

the coral beauty is generally a peaceful fish, compatible
with many fish, including other pygmy angels.
but yeah, it sounds like you have too much fish
for that tank.

IMO I would be happy enough with a CB & a FF (I have both in my Tank) both make excellant tank mates with the rest of my community

FF, CB & Tangs all react badly to being house with members of there own species

A Tang wouldnt be a good idea in a 50g

I think the 70g that is stated for the FF is 70 US g which = 58 UK g

:good:

The foxface is in the rabbitfish family. I wouldn't add this fish in 50g at all.

some info

The Foxface Rabbitfish, also known as the Foxface Lo, has a very unique body color. It has a mottled yellow-brown body with a dark chest. The face is very light in color and speckled on the lower half.

It may reside in a 70 gallon or larger aquarium. It is a very peaceful species except when housed with other rabbitfish. The Foxface Rabbitfish may be housed with more aggressive fish. Its predators will tend to leave it alone because of its venomous dorsal spines. Rabbitfish are generally reef-safe if they are well fed. If not, it is possible for them to nip at and consume some species of LPS and soft corals.

The Foxface Rabbitfish diet consists of a variety of fresh vegetables and algae. It does nip and possibly eat some soft and hard coral polyps.

I don't see anything wrong with adding a tang in that tank size if you get a very small one.

Here's some info on the fish

The Yellow Tang, also known as the Yellow Hawaiian Tang, Yellow Sailfin Tang, or Yellow Surgeonfish, has an oval bright yellow body. It is widespread throughout Hawaii to Indonesia and The Great Barrier Reef.

A 50 gallon or larger aquarium is necessary to provide plenty of swimming room. It is aggressive towards its own species, or Tangs in general, and it is best to keep only one per tank.

In its natural habitat, the Yellow Tang grazes on algae and small invertebrates. In the tank, it needs a varied diet high in beta-carotene and vitamin C, and low in protein matter. To maintain its bright coloration, however, it must keep to a strict herbivore diet to prevent fading. Therefore, the diet of the Yellow Tang should consist of dried and frozen herbivore food that contains marine algae, and vegetarian items such as Spirulina, zucchini, broccoli, leaf lettuce, and dried seaweed.

If you do get a Coral Beauty and a Yellow Tang. Add the Tang in last as they may fight. My went it for 2 days now they love each other.

You should probably credit the source when copying and pasting info :lol:

Foxface Lo
and
Yellow Tang - Hawaiian
both from Liveaquaria.com

-Lynden

I didn't copy from that site. I find that site a little misleading at times.

Most reactions

Back