Compatibility Chart - Community Fish

Does this mean that bettas ARE compatable with guppies then? The site says they will nearly always get on fine, and I've been considering getting a trio.

my beeta gets on with everything in my tank, no probs at all, always visible as well, my mates said when i got my betta, "wouldn't bother with one of them they hide all the time", he`s never still!! :D

Don't rely completely on this chart though, it doesn't cover all the variables.
Always do extra research or just plonk the question on TFF....
I personally wouldn't rely on it at all.

Obviously do as much research as possible and ask for help on here, but at least it's a start in the right direction. I kept my betta in a community (recently died of old age) and he was fine. However, it really depends on the fish. My betta was never aggressive, but every fish has a different personality. I have heard that bettas fight with guppies, so just be careful.

I like liveaquaria and drsfostersmith, but that compatability chart is rubbish. The fish are put in general groups instead of looking at the specific species and brackish, coldwater, and freshwater fish are mixed together.

A much better tool is nmonk's Can I Keep It? and More Can I Keep It? software programs. They are great and easy-to-use and looks at popular and specific species. http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/software/software.html

A much better tool is nmonk's Can I Keep It? and More Can I Keep It? software programs. They are great and easy-to-use and looks at popular and specific species. http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/software/software.html
I saw that a few of the programs on that page were listed as Freeware but there was no indication on the "Can I Keep It?" and "More Can I Keep It?" programs. Do you know if they are? Are the programs updated with new definitions as information changes and new fish species come into the hobby?

I commented on the lieveaquaria only a few weeks ago, not sure I can be bothered to go through it again. But basically it is impossible to make a chart that covers the extremely variable needs/behaviour etc of these groups. Tetras- are we talking ember tetras or exodons? Makes a difference to those guppies, I'd have thought. Discus compatible with corys- well, not with the cool loving corys, like the common peppereds. Rams in the Malawi tank- I think not.

And even allowing for this general problem, there are some real oddities in here. Why would brackish fish be considered compatible with barbs or loaches? Strange, strange. Gouramis compatible with gouramis- have they never heard of territoriality?

I saw that a few of the programs on that page were listed as Freeware but there was no indication on the "Can I Keep It?" and "More Can I Keep It?" programs. Do you know if they are? Are the programs updated with new definitions as information changes and new fish species come into the hobby?
Yes, they are freeware. They don't have liveupdates, but numerous, common species are covered.

Just a debate and critique on that chart... no need to take it personally. Please don't stop from making any posts in the future. ;)

Most reactions

Back