Common Pleco Tank Size?

gta1628

Reaction score
I have a common plec currently at 8" and it needs to move to a larger tank. Is a 46 gallon large enough for it? Or should I try to donate it to one of the very large tanks (170g) at the college? Right now these are my only two realistic options.

06_27_07_1501.jpg

i feel its more a case of tank size. this fish will get to more than 24 inches, as such your tank will need to be at least 24 inches wide! i'm not sure how many gallons it would be but a tank of 6X2X2, would seem to be a good minimum.

They neeg big tanks they can reach till 60 cm tall. And they get very big.

i feel its more a case of tank size. this fish will get to more than 24 inches, as such your tank will need to be at least 24 inches wide! i'm not sure how many gallons it would be but a tank of 6X2X2, would seem to be a good minimum.

show me/us a common (Pterygoplichthys pardalis) that is even 20 inch long, thats crap imo

you are wrong, they don't get that big

show me/us a common (Pterygoplichthys pardalis) that is even 20 inch long, thats crap imo

humm, i feel nobody here needs to show you anything. i suggest you do some research, a simple forum search will give you loads of threads, indicating just how big common plecos get. lol you are of course entitled to your opinion, but perhaps a little bit more informed opinion may help. 60cm is the most common max size quoted by people who know what they are doing.

humm, i feel nobody here needs to show you anything. i suggest you do some research, a simple forum search will give you loads of threads, indicating just how big common plecos get. lol you are of course entitled to your opinion, but perhaps a little bit more informed opinion may help. 60cm is the most common max size quoted by people who know what they are doing.

Why search the forums for peoples incorrect opinions when you can refer to planetcatfish for data?

look here for maximum adult size (albeit without tail) but commons dont have a lyretail so i don't see how you can say 'this fish will get to more than 24 inches' with no data to back it up other than what you may have read on these boards. Even if you think PC are conservative in the size quoted that still leave at least a 4-5 inch gap in what you quote.

i suggest you do some research, i know what im doing boy

Why search the forums for peoples incorrect opinions when you can refer to planetcatfish for data?

look here for maximum adult size (albeit without tail) but commons dont have a lyretail so i don't see how you can say 'this fish will get to more than 24 inches' with no data to back it up other than what you may have read on these boards. Even if you think PC are conservative in the size quoted that still leave at least a 4-5 inch gap in what you quote.

i suggest you do some research, i know what im doing boy
yawn yawn, i walk past two 20 plus inch plecos every Saturday, at a local LFS. dont call me boy you ignorant ass.

as for your so called correct info read this thread, from people who do know what they are talking about!!
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...p;hl=pleco+size
and a pinned thread from this forum
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...8&hl=plecos
oops a common pleco
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...cial%26hs%3DCpG
oh and another!
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~redean/

Gibbies are classed as Commons and they do get huge. Liposarcus Pardalis reaches 15" max. Mine is 2 1/2 years old and is 13" (including tail). :)

According to planet catfish the standard length is about 14". But the max size is indeed 24". Is there any way to tell how big one is going to get? Mine is 8" after 5-6 months.

... but then there's sites like this one that say up to 18" and for a minnimum size tank of 45 gallons. I'm so confused. I've been reading anywhere from 16" to 24"+ max size, and minimum tank size of 45g to 75g.

dont call me boy you ignorant ass.

Ok, i'll call you bobo then, thats the other short version of your nick, if im an ass you're a clown.

I don't class gibbys as commons, commons imo are Pterygoplichthys pardalis, and until someone can actually show me proof otherwise (ie a picture, with it measured) then i will stand by the data that Jools and his team display rather than quoting threads here parrot fashion.

To quote Wikipedia

'Plecostomus, pleco, or plec is a general name for a type of freshwater tropical Central and South American fish belonging to the family Loricariidae.'

No mention is made of commons, just the 'family Loricariidae' which includes Acanthicus adonis which can reach 3 feet approximately, hardly a clear description either then really.

dont call me boy you ignorant ass.

Ok, i'll call you bobo then, thats the other short version of your nick, if im an ass you're a clown.

I don't class gibbys as commons, commons imo are Pterygoplichthys pardalis, and until someone can actually show me proof otherwise (ie a picture, with it measured) then i will stand by the data that Jools and his team display rather than quoting threads here parrot fashion.

To quote Wikipedia

'Plecostomus, pleco, or plec is a general name for a type of freshwater tropical Central and South American fish belonging to the family Loricariidae.'

No mention is made of commons, just the 'family Loricariidae' which includes Acanthicus adonis which can reach 3 feet approximately, hardly a clear description either then really.

ahh i see you are not talking about the same fish everyone else is. you may not accept them as common, however the vast majority of the people do. as you say it is YOUR Opinion. still the fish we have been talking about can get to 24 inches, sadly many of these fish end up at the local LFS, as their size makes them impossible for many people to keep. and still more end up dying through being kept in wrong of cramped conditions.

If you care to read my original post then i state that i am talking about Pterygoplichthys pardalis, which is why i qualified it with a scientific name rather than using the common name.

At no point did i disagree with anything other than the size you quote.

interestingly, looking at the photo provided above imo that is L001 Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus, which reaches a much smaller adult size than what you refer to as commons (i call gibby if you need a common name). Do they come under the common pleco umbrella as well?

Most reactions

Back