Commercially available freshwater eel.

DMan99

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Are there are eels avaialble in england that only grow to about a foot in length?

Thanks,

I'll research them and then see if i can fit one into my aquarium!

Yeah, and a good size for one is 8-10", and that's usually the largest that grow in aquariums, though they can be a bit tough to feed, mine only accept live food, but they can be trained to accept prepared food (but it's a bit tough). Zig-zag spiny eels, however, usually accept prepared food right off, and the record size for them is 7", and they usually stop growing at 6".

Zigzag Spiny Eels, i'll remember that lol and i'll see whether my LFS can get any in!

Great! I forgot their latin name, but I'll try to get it for you, it shouldn't be too tough. They're usually colored with light brown on top, and dark brown on the middle portion and bottom portion of their body.

Hey, i now its a day late, but freshwater eels are great fun too keep, i ahve two, and despite what some sources of information say, the peacock spiny eel can go in a tank with several others. Enjoy! :D

Thanks!

I'm quite excited as i havent owned any freshwater eels yet and im going to my lfs tomorrow so ill see what they say.

As an owner of some eels, what would you recommend as a good for them and btw as i am only going to get one do you think i should try for the peacock eel or zigzag spiny eel?

I say zigzag, just because often times peacock spiny eels (not true eels, by the way) are difficult to feed, like I said, mine only take live food (red wrigglers, ghost shrimp, chopped nightcrawlers), while the zigzags (finally got the latin name, here you go Mastacembelus pancalus, just watch out, tire track eels are sometimes sold as zigzag eels, but get to 36") usually take anything offered to them, sometimes even dry food.

Thankyou!

I'll see what happens n if i get some ill let the whole world know lol.

Most reactions

Back