Comet Goldfish Chasing & Fighting New Shubunkins

//stuart

Reaction score
A long story but...

About 18 months ago, I added 6 Red Comet Goldfish to my new pond (brought a new house which had a pond without fish)

About 6 months after this, I added in 6 Yellow Comet Goldfish (same size as existing fish), the original 6 went mad at this, and chased the new arrivals day and night for days on end. Eventually, 4 died, and then everything settled down.

At the time, nobody could offer advice on why this was happening - just its mating or the tank must be too small - its not its a pond approx. 4500 litres.

Over winter in the cold weather I lost a couple of the fish, so decided to add some more fish today. I brought 4 shubunkins about the same size as existing fish (about 4-5inch).

Yet again, the older fish go mad and immediately start chasing the new fish around.

After about 4 hours, I've just scooped the new fish into a bucket to give them a rest, but why is this happening??

All anyone tells me is:

1. Goldfish are normally very passive and non-aggressive
2. The only chase when mating
3. You need a lot of water/space for each fish (its a pond)

Urgent help please!
:unsure:

Just to add, that 12 hours on, and the fish are still chasing - help!

Strangely, 3 of the new fish are white, and 1 black. The black one seems to have settled in with the existing fish without problem, just the 3 white ones being chased - even by 5 gold fish to 1 new fish - horrible to watch :crazy:

Most reactions

Back