Coconut Root Mats

squeakytoy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has tried out the coir fiber mats? They sell them for hydroponics, and after looking at them, I think they might do well as a back wall for the tank, and maybe even as a tank floor over top the substrate. Of course, I am not convinced that Elvis might be dead, so my thoughts are not always the best ideas...

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has tried out the coir fiber mats? They sell them for hydroponics, and after looking at them, I think they might do well as a back wall for the tank, and maybe even as a tank floor over top the substrate. Of course, I am not convinced that Elvis might be dead, so my thoughts are not always the best ideas...

BUMP

i'm interested in the answer aswell

what are they used for in hydroponics?

IMO it will look a bit naff on the substrate plus there are other problems doing it this way,

what they are is a tightly woven mat of coconut fiber that apparently are an ideal rooting medium for the plants. I have since seen them labeled as suitable for use in aquaria, but I was wondering if anyone had ever tried them. Some of them are listed as being enhanced with various ferts, and I am releuctant to add them without checking them out first. As far as looking pretty ugly, yeah, they would at first, but after a while, if yo got riccia or some other type of carpet tp root, they might look pretty good, as well as having a more secure footing. Also might not have to worry about fish getting stuck in netting after the roots have taken hold.

you could always use fishing line or cotton to tie it down so you dont have the net problem. any moss etc will attach to any surface as long as it isnt perfectly smooth, aslong as you put some scratches in it.

Most reactions

Back