Co2 Vs. Airstone

IlliniGuy18

Reaction score
I've heard that you should not run both an airstone and CO2 at the same time since by oxygenating the tank, it is not able to absorb enough CO2 for the plants. Is this really true? If I ran an airstone in my planted tank (just for aestetic reasons) constantly while constantly injecting CO2 will it do fine?

Thanks

You really dont need an airstone at all just make sure you have a slight ripple on the water surface and you will be fine.

Your right in what you say the airstone will drive out the Co2 from the water.

I've heard that you should not run both an airstone and CO2 at the same time since by oxygenating the tank, it is not able to absorb enough CO2 for the plants. Is this really true? If I ran an airstone in my planted tank (just for aestetic reasons) constantly while constantly injecting CO2 will it do fine?

Thanks

You're right about not running an airstone when you are injecting CO2. The surface agitation will make the CO2 escape much easier keeping less of it in the water. To answer your question whether it will do fine it could depending on the setup you have. I'm sure a low light setup with really hardy plants would survive.

Most reactions

Back