Co2 Makes Algae Go Away?

Evad

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
About 2 days away from installing a reactor and finally getting some CO2 into my tank. Once the CO2 levels rise will my hair algae die and dissapear? Die and make a mess? Or just stop growing?

Hi Evad

One of the main causes of algae is unstable CO2 - so by getting a decent stable C02 system running the algae is less likely to be triggered.

However CO2 is not a miracle cure and it wont just dissapear. Really you need to get the CO2 stable, remove all of the algae and it shouldn't grow back - in theory.

Are you using pressurised or yeast based co2?

also, if the CO2 is high enough (35ppm+) it can block the algae enzymes and it will not grow at all. Watch your fish carefully though.

Thank you! Yes its pressurized and I was hoping the algae would sort of melt away since its attached to everything. Ugh.

THanks

all of the above are correct but controlled by one important thing. Circulation.

Not necessarily the power of the filter but the water needs to circulate as evenly as possible. This can be achieved by positioning your outlet inlet in different areas until you find the best one.

Might sound simple but factors inluding plants and hardscape come into the equation because they are obstacles to the water flow. simply increasing the filter output can improve things but not always.

This is much more important than CO2 because it will also ensure good nutrient deliver (of which carbon is one) So good pressurised CO2 is one thing. Getting to the desired ares is another.

Andy

all of the above are correct but controlled by one important thing. Circulation.

Not necessarily the power of the filter but the water needs to circulate as evenly as possible. This can be achieved by positioning your outlet inlet in different areas until you find the best one.

Might sound simple but factors inluding plants and hardscape come into the equation because they are obstacles to the water flow. simply increasing the filter output can improve things but not always.

This is much more important than CO2 because it will also ensure good nutrient deliver (of which carbon is one) So good pressurised CO2 is one thing. Getting to the desired ares is another.

Andy

Thanks for that. I have two spraybars but becuase the tank is so large I am going to add a power head and use it to push the CO2-rich water that comes out of the reactor around. After 4 full days of 20ppm C02 it appears that plants are coming back to life and algae has essentially stopped growing.

Most reactions

Back