Clown Pleco.. Vanishing Act?

Aviici

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday I was at my LFS, and I walked by a tank with a lonely baby clown plec, it was only about 4-5cm long, but such a cutie. Therefore I bought him, foolishly. I acclimatised him, as one usually does, and when I released him he decided to stick to the glass right at the front of the tank.
My snakehead showed a bit of interest so I intervened and moved the clown plec down behind some bogwood and in amongst the bottom of my amazon sword.

HOWEVER, since then, I haven't seen him.

Has the baby fallen victim to a snakehead? or are clown plecos notorious for hiding? I can't find too much good info on them.

Thanks.

Clown plecs are notorious for hiding; I have one that I can go for months without seeing; having said that, I wouldn't trust a snakehead with anything that might fit in its mouth
confused.gif

Plecs are also pretty spiky; if the snakehead does try and eat it, it might get stuck and choke it. How big is the snakehead, and what species is it?

I've got a Starlight BN pleco in there with the snakehead, and they've been happy together for a long time! the BN is about 4 inches.
My snakehead is a 7 inch Rainbow. He's still not an adult just yet, but close to full size.

That's interesting you say they're notorious for hiding though, i hope that's the case! Clowns are such cute little guys, couldn't walk past him in the shop :p
My rainbow usually eats river shrimp, hikari massivore, and hikari cichlid gold, but he has been a naughty boy and eaten some tankmates in the past.

Most reactions

Back