clown loaches

C.j

Reaction score
i just bought 4 clown loaches from my lfs, as the guy claimed they need to be kept in groups.

i just read that they can reach 1 FOOT! my tank is only a 3 foot long!

did i read wrong, if not how many should i take back?

C.j

yes they can reach that long and do need to be in groups

how big are they now?
they can take years to reach 6" let alone a foot long.

pretty small. about 1 1/2 or 2 inches.

C.j said:
i just bought 4 clown loaches from my lfs, as the guy claimed they need to be kept in groups.

i just read that they can reach 1 FOOT! my tank is only a 3 foot long!

did i read wrong, if not how many should i take back?

C.j
Don't get mad at the fish store, they do need to be kept in groups of 4, and they do need at least a 55 gallon tank to start with

:/ ok my tank is only 40 gals. how long, if at all could i keep these guys before i need to upgrade my tank or rehome them?

C.j said:
:/ ok my tank is only 40 gals. how long, if at all could i keep these guys before i need to upgrade my tank or rehome them?
For a year or so. You're fine for a little while.

At least 3 is pretty good. I usually reccomend 5. I would definitely not get one, as the clown will get bored and either:
Screw with the fish/plants/ornaments in your tank and generally make things nervous
Hide and never be seen
Or make escape attempts

A bored clown loach is a dangerous thing :D

Clown loaches grow rapidly up to 2" then their growth slows dramatically. I have no idea how long this will take but they should be fine in your 40 gallon tank untill they reach about 3".

Mine grew fast till 6 inches and then STOPPED and then started growing very slowly again.

Most reactions

Back