Cloudy Water

russellbrooke

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Tried a search but couldn't find much on this.

I've got a tropical juwel 260, been setup for about 6 months (had the tank for years, reaquascaped 6 months ago) and over the last week, it's started to go cloudy. If you put the water in a white bowl, it's got a green tinge to it, so I’m assuming it's an algae attack.

My Stats are;
- Setup is sand substrate, 90% Plant Coverage, Amazon swords, java fern, crypts etc, anubus etc.
- co2
- 2.1 wpg
- use PRO-aqua-Plant from greenline
- n03 25mg/l
- no2 0
- kh 40mg/l
- gh 160mg/l
- ph - 6.8-7 (Can't tell exactly as the test kits I’ve got are difficult to read)

The fish aren't gasping or seem overly bothered about the situation. I did a larger than normal water change yesterday, and by the morning, just as bad as it was the previous day.

Any ideas on how it happened, and any ideas to get rid? I did try water life stayclear (not a fan of these products as I tend to think they help but don't fix the cause) but it hasn't made any difference.

Before and After

none_cloudy.jpg

cloudy_water.jpg

Ta

Russ

The only thing I can think of it being is an algae bloom, a bit off topic here, but what is your carpet plant at the front of your tank? I really like the look of that.

Neal

What I can think about is, it might caused by a) over fertilizing; B) over feeding

If you have change the fish food recently, then try to shift it back to the previous type u used before.

Once you've got green water it can be real difficult to clear. Sometimes it does clear by itself. A UV steriliser will clear it 100%. Take a look at my website algae guide for some more ideas.

James

One possibility would be iron precipitating out of the water, that could make it cloudy white. Do you does and PO4 and/or NO3? I have heard (although never experienced it myself) that doseing these at the same time as a trace mix containing iron can lead to the iron precipitating out of the water, hence the cloudiness.

Just a thought

Sam

I WOULD CHECK YOUR FILTER AND MEDIA IF YOU HAVE FILTER BACTERIA DIE OFF OR A SLOWING IMPELOR OR JAMMED, THIS DOES CAUSE CLOUDY/MILKY WATER ALSO DO STATS CHECK
HOPE THIS HELPS.

Has anyone every tried using a uv in a planted tank. I've only heard of using uv's for ponds. If so, any good places you guys and gals recommend?

wei0204 - I've not changed my feeding so i don't think it's that.
jamesc - I might try the uv steriliser
Themuleous - I don't dose extra ferts, just use PRO-aqua-Plant from greenline
hogan53 - The pump might be knackered, i've wanted to get a "backup" pump just in case. I'll get one and see if it makes any difference.

Ta for all your comments so far.

Russ

I use a VU on my EI nano, works a treat (not that Ive ever really had problems with green water) and no apparent effects on plant growth, but I do dose trace daily to avoid any possible affect the UV light can have on it.

Sam

Most reactions

Back