Clouded community tank

Madisonkrug

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently rescaped my 29Gal community tank and I am having some issues. I reused the gravel substrate from my previously established tank as the base of the substrate and layered aqua soil bags and topped it off with sand. I planted the tank heavily with all types of Anubis, crypts, Java ferns, Amazon swords, Montecarlo, grasses etc… I have two medium pieces of wood and plenty of dragon scale and other rocks. As for inhabitants the stock list is as follows:

1 betta
1 peacock gudgeon
12x glow light tetras
8x CPDs
12x cherry shrimp
4x ottos
Random assortment of rams horns, bladders and a single Nerite snail.

After moving all of the inhabitants to holding tanks I redid my tank and refilled it adding back all the decorations and plants from the tank previously along with a few extras to fill any gaps. I’ve been adding beneficial bacteria and testing the water for the past week and everything was normal 0ppm ammonia 10ppm Nitrates so after a 50% water change I added the fish back and began lightly feeding. It has now been two days since I’ve added them and the water has gotten incredibly murky. I’ve tested the water and theres no alarming change in parameters 0ammonia and under 10ppm Nitrates after the water change. What is causing this? If it is as I suspect a bacterial bloom, is there a way I can get rid of it or speed the balancing process?
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 29
Maybe stop adding the bacteria?... It may be making it worse but I don't know... That's pretty cloudy. How long has this tank been set up?

Also, a bit off topic but I would look into adding 2-3 more peacock gudgeons and maybe a few more ottos AFTER the tank stops being cloudy though... Gudgeons like to be kept in large groups of 6+ but they also do well in pairs and trios. If your gudgeon is a male, I would NOT advise adding on to the gudgeons... Then he may decide to kill them.

Maybe stop adding the bacteria?... It may be making it worse but I don't know... That's pretty cloudy. How long has this tank been set up?

Also, a bit off topic but I would look into adding 2-3 more peacock gudgeons and maybe a few more ottos AFTER the tank stops being cloudy though... Gudgeons like to be kept in large groups of 6+ but they also do well in pairs and trios. If your gudgeon is a male, I would NOT advise adding on to the gudgeons... Then he may decide to kill them.
I stopped adding the bacteria after the first day it got cloudy thinking it’s possibly a bacteria bloom but it’s very dense so Im a bit confused. As for the peacock gudgeon I know! Yes I’ve been looking into finding more of these but this gudgeon was actually surrendered to a local fish store near me and i haven’t been able to get my hands on any others yet! He is a male so I’m looking for two more females to go along with him. There are plenty of caves built into the rocks for them to feel safe!

I stopped adding the bacteria after the first day it got cloudy thinking it’s possibly a bacteria bloom but it’s very dense so Im a bit confused. As for the peacock gudgeon I know! Yes I’ve been looking into finding more of these but this gudgeon was actually surrendered to a local fish store near me and i haven’t been able to get my hands on any others yet! He is a male so I’m looking for two more females to go along with him. There are plenty of caves built into the rocks for them to feel safe!
I got a trio of gudgeons (one male and two females) in my newly set up 20g a few months back... One sadly passed on day two due to stress... I got another one that was a female a week after... Story short, the new female became super stressed because of territories that had been established and my male gudgeon killed her... I have a pair of gudgeons that will stay a pair because the male will take any additions as a threat... This is a case where I personally wouldn't add any gudgeons... The male will kill the others that enter "his" territory.

Hello, you don’t mention your Nitrite reading, is that score as well..?

I think that such a big clean has triggered a cycle, and bacterial bloom is often a common part of the cycling process. Reduce the amount you feed the fish, they can go for a few days without food and watch out for them showing signs of lack of oxygen, as I’ve just read that the bacteria in the bloom can deplete the oxygen levels.

Last edited:
It really looks like a bloom. Wait another day or two, reduce the feeding or eliminate it during that time, and see how it goes. Maybe even do 50% water change to "accelerate" the clearing of your water.

Even though it's murky, the layout looks like a banger, very nice!

Since you capped your old substrate(where alot of the BB loives), more bacteria is probably forming on the new top layers to replace it which might be causing the bloom. Just my guess.

Hello, you don’t mention your Nitrite reading, is that score as well..?

I think that such a big clean has triggered a cycle, and bacterial bloom is often a common part of the cycling process. Reduce the amount you feed the fish, they can go for a few days without food and watch out for them showing signs of lack of oxygen, as I’ve just read that the bacteria in the bloom can deplete the oxygen levels.
Okay I will watch out for that! Thanks!!!

It really looks like a bloom. Wait another day or two, reduce the feeding or eliminate it during that time, and see how it goes. Maybe even do 50% water change to "accelerate" the clearing of your water.

Even though it's murky, the layout looks like a banger, very nice!
Okay I will do a big water change in the morning! And thanks!! 😁

Yes I’ve just never experienced so murky before I was thinking that adding that little extra BB would help avoid this, hopefully it goes down soon if that is the case. Thank you!!
Since you capped your old substrate(where alot of the BB loives), more bacteria is probably forming on the new top layers to replace it which might be causing the bloom. Just my gue

Most reactions

Back