Cleaning Used Aquarium

Ceramicbull

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've found a great deal on a used 20g aquarium, the only problem being that it used to hold "a live animal". I'm guessing this means a reptile or small mammal, so what can I use to clean it out for aquarium use? Any suggestions or things to avoid?

I believe you can use whatever you want to clean it, within reason...even bleach. You just have to make sure to wash it out thoroughly before any fish go into it.

Antibacterial spray and lots of water i've used before. Washing it and washing it and washing it, making #41#### sure nothing is left inside. I let it dry out, then i washed it again to be sure. I take nothing to chance.

easiest and best thing to disinfect a used tank is bleach! dilute it to a capful or 2 per gal of water. scrub scrub scrub...rinse rinse rinse. wipe it out with a clean cloth and let it airdry. no residue is left behind as all the chlorine evaporates and the bleach disinfects EVERYTHING!
never use soap! too difficult to make sure there is no residual stuff left behind.
cheers

Is Milton baby stuff alright to use? I just got some for some stuff from my hospital tank!

Most reactions

Back