Cleaning Plant Leaves

cools32

Reaction score
Hello All

Have just been reading through the posts in this group but can't yet find what I am looking for.

I am wondering what is the best way to clean plant leaves? What equipment and techniques do people tend to use? In particular the delicate leaves of plants such as Anubias? I clean my aquariums weekly, and often the Anubias leaves need cleaning, at the same time. I currently gently do this with a soft cloth or filter wool, but wondered if other people had different techniques?

I have a planted aquarium, and home made Co2 system,

Any thoughts and comments on this would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Mark

Hey Mark, you may find that the DIY is the problem believe it or not. Is this in your Trigon? and is the algae either black brush or brown diatoms?

Good Evening Ian

Yes this is in my Trigon 190, which does have the home made Co2 feeding in to it.

The Leaves have a thin 'film' of black coloured 'residue' on them... not sure what is causing this, as they are cleaned every week. It is not easily removed, and hence my post about advice on cleaning. I use filter wool and gently rub the leaves with this, but have to be very careful as they are easily damaged. The black residue does not come off that easily and usually takes a few attempts with the filter wool.

I am pretty much a novice with plants, and only introduced the home made (yeast and sugar based) C02 a few months ago.

You hinted that the Co2 may be an influence in the factors causing this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I could include a photograph of the leaves, as I will be doing the weekly clean out and water change tomorrow.

Best wishes

Mark (Lincolnshire Aquarist Society :good: )

what fish do you have in it... or clean up crew? with my anubias i just rub the algae off the leaves gently but my oto's do most of the work for me =]

Hello Mike

I keep Discus, Rams and tetras. Also keep 4 x Large Cory Sterbai in there as 'clean up crew'...Have tried rubbing my fingers gently over the surface of the leaves, but this doesn't remove all the residue.

Best wishes

Mark

iv got otocinclus and amano shrimp as my clean up crew they do a great job for me (recently put 2 otos in my 20l tank and its spotless after 3 days (the anubias hasent looked better) personaly i love otos for a clean up crew maybe get afew? there friendly with most fish i think

Oto's and shrimp won't touch Black brush algae (BBA). I think the homemade C02 is the problem, home made yeast based C02 works well in tanks under 15g. Anything over and you get fluctuation in C02, as the C02 isn't stable enough (unless you're running a 4-5 2 litre bottles). This in turn exacerbates BBA. I found i needed some C02 introduction in my Trigon due to the T5 lighting. I did use pressurised C02. But, Easycarbo would work (Kev sells it in the Aquarium). This is a product that need dosing every day, and also contains a good algaecide.

Oto's and shrimp won't touch Black brush algae (BBA). I think the homemade C02 is the problem, home made yeast based C02 works well in tanks under 15g. Anything over and you get fluctuation in C02, as the C02 isn't stable enough (unless you're running a 4-5 2 litre bottles). This in turn exacerbates BBA. I found i needed some C02 introduction in my Trigon due to the T5 lighting. I did use pressurised C02. But, Easycarbo would work (Kev sells it in the Aquarium). This is a product that need dosing every day, and also contains a good algaecide.

it's best to get to the root of the problem, but a Siamese algae eater is probably the only thing that touches BBA.

Thank you very much for the feedback Ian.

You make a very interesting point about the Yeast Based Co2 being unstable in larger aquariums, which is something I wasn't previously aware of. I currently have 2 x 3 litre plastic bottles feeding Co2 in to the 190 ltr tank. I may have to re-think my set up. Is pressurised C02 stable in comparison? I may try Easycarbo or bite the bullet and save for a more professional C02 system.

Thank you for the feedback and advice, which is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Mark (Lincolnshire Aquarist Society :good: )

im not sure if its good or not but iv got a simple defuser it cost about £11 total with a canister of co2 which defuses into the tank... although iv lost the canister at the moment (oops) iv not been putting it in for awhile though so it shouldn't have a effect i'll try to find a pic of it... (not sure if there good or not but a hell of a lot cheaper than some of the defuse's

this is the one iv got have a look

http://www.pegasuspets.co.uk/waterplant-co2-diffuser-set-for-live-aquarium-plants.ir?cName=aquatics-water-treatments-aquarium-fish-tank-water-conditioners

The above linked methods are not quite as unstable as DIY CO2 but they are no good for large tanks, you should really be looking into a Fire Extinguisher setup or a JBL type setup. Lots of information listed in PARC I suggest both of you guys have a good read, i think it might benefit you both, its certainly helped me over the last few months :)

just had a look £70 is quite a lot for a Co2 system imo wheres the money going?

Most reactions

Back