cleaning outside of glass

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MAM

Mamalammadingdong
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
now i know not to use household cleaners or window cleaner or anything like that. a friend told me to use vinager to get the water spots and such off (i get a lot of water spots from doing water changes and a terrible calcium buildup alongthe top edge when the hood meets the tank). is vinager okay to use? how about rubbing alcohol (isopropyl)? any other suggestions? just wiping with a damp cloth (or a dry one even) doesn't do much, leaves streaks and such.
any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Hi, Many A Molly. :D

I use Windex to clean the outside of my tanks and don't think it's ever caused me a problem. I spray it on a paper towel, not on the glass itself to avoid any stray mist getting in the water. Then I wipe it with the paper towel.

I just use a household window cleaner (windolene), as long as the lid is on and the feeding hole is covered, I cant see how the spray can get into the tank.
Regards
Jim

Fly258 said:
I just use a household window cleaner (windolene), as long as the lid is on and the feeding hole is covered, I cant see how the spray can get into the tank.
Regards
Jim
Do you want to risk it though? Some could get between the door & the hood, stick to the door & get put in the tank with condensation. I always spray away from the tank. I know it's a long shot, but why risk the finny buds?

Some times I use the tank water its self. I just get my algea cleaner, rinse it off, dip it in the tank and rinse off the tank with it. No risk with chemicals, and its purely organic. Of course sometimes I just use a house hold cleaner and spritz it on a paper towel too :D

Vinegar is great to use, its more natural, gets rid of water spots/salt buildups, and doesnt streak :D

I always thought that cleaners were a no no. I heard (but can't remember where) that glass is porous and would allow a chemical through. Hmmm, I just use water and a scotch brite pad, but vinegar might be ok.

I just use windex as well, I get it, this is just free advertising for WINDEX isn't it?

You tricked me!!! I am going to go cry now. :-(

A friend of mine lost all of his fish because his wife cleaned the front of the tank with Windex. The top was closed too. They all died within an hour. Be careful if you do use Windex. It's not worth the risk to me.

I just use water on a cloth to clean mine. If you do it once or twice a month there won't be a buildup and can easily be kept clean with just water.

I use Safe & Easy aquarium cleaner..maybe an unnecesary expense, but mine seems to last me. :rolleyes:

Windex now makes wet wipes now so all ya do is pull one out and clean away. Works great and you don't have the worry of spraying the paper towels in another room

pondfreak4365 said:
I always thought that cleaners were a no no. I heard (but can't remember where) that glass is porous and would allow a chemical through.
I really dont think thats true!

The best thing todo is to just spray the cleaning product onto the cloth or whatever ur using, away from the tank, and then just simply wipe the glass over or as Mollymomma said, get sme of those wet wipes :thumbs:

An important thing to remember when using any kind of cleaner is to wash your hands immediately. This way you avoid the possibility of seeing something else in the tank that needs to be done and reaching back in with the product still on them.

^^ Good point. I have my hands in bleach water a lot at work and some times when I come home I notice a plant uprooted or something out of place and want to fix it. Constantly have to remind myself to wash my hands til I can get rid of that bleach smell. It couldn't be good for the fish and I have put enough money into the tank to try not to screw it up.

Most reactions

Back