Cleaning divided tank

motherof6

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon divided tank with 3 male Bettas in it. It is on the bottom of a 2 tier tank stand. It is impossible to clean like it should be. I cannot get the syphon to work because of the lack of gravity.

I have a filter and heater in it. I do not run the filter because the fish in that divider does not like it. Without the choice of moving it elsewhere what can I do?

I have even thought of buying individual containers for all of my Bettas and using that tank for something else (like a fry tank or something).

What is the best for my fish? (In your opinions?)Help!

10 gals are super easy to do water changes on even without a siphon. just remove about half of the water with jugs or something (i use 1 gal water jugs). then you can pick up the tank and clean it properly.

The way the stand is built it would be really hard to disconnect everything and lift it out every week to fully clean the tank.

Maybe if I used some other substrate than gravel like river rocks or something. The gravel is what is a pain to keep clean. Opinions?

all of my tanks either have glass stones or sand. i dont have any substrate in my betta tanks because i change them so often.

Maybe that is what I will have to give a try.

I will clean the tank best I can tomorrow and give it a clean start and see how I like it that way.

The siphon should work, no matter what the height of the tank is. I've got a 4 gallon really close to the ground, but all one needs to do is suck on the end of the siphon to get it started, and then it should keep siphoning. :dunno:

I can get the siphon to start in a small pitcher. It will not start in the tall pail at all. Even in the pitcher when I lift the hose to dump it and cuts the water flow. Do you know how many times I would have to start it in order to clean the whole tank? :S I have been stiring up the water (after removing the Bettas) and draining the whole tank by scopping (BIG PAIN) and the rocks never seemed to get cleaned like I want.

Here is a picture of the tank when I first set it up. It shows how close to the floor it is and how tight it fits in the stand..

49000552.jpg

Most reactions

Back