Classroom Aquarium

Beavo68

Reaction score
I will be setting up an aquarium for my 5th grade classroom. Due to space/size constraints and a realistic outlook re: my ability to care for the tank, I have purchased the following: an 18 gal. "tall" with stand and an eclipse 1 hood/filtration system. The tank will be "planted" with 9 different imitation plants, ranging from large to small, from the "SeaGarden" freshwater series (pretty realistic as far as fakers go :D ). The tank will also include a medium size pumice rock, with the obligatory holes, and a small peice of african wood ( in case a dwarf pleco is added down the road). Oh, and the tank is equipped with a heater.
Whew! Now - the question(s). I plan on cycling the tank with fish. Taking into account the size of the tank and the hardiness required of cycling fish - I'd like a list of species which would fit my needs. I imagine that due to my tank size, a single species/school approach would be best with perhaps a role player or 2(plecos for example) to be added months from now:

*What species do you recommend based on my criteria?
*How many to begin with initially as I cycle?
*What would the ideal school size be as a long term goal?

These fish will be the fish I stick with from alpha to omega, so I'd like as many options as possible (measure twice - cut once).

I'm incorporating a tank into the room less as a science tool and more as a means to create a mood/focus in the room of calmness.

Thankyou in advance!

Tony Beavert

ZEBRA danios !!!
they are hardy look good in groups ideal for an 18 gallon what more can u ask

i'd get 3 first to start the cycle going :p but hey u should just wait for sum1 more experienced to reply incase i am wrong :p

:hi: Hi Tony!

I agree that zebra danios are a good choice for cycling. They're a very hardy fish. Another one that's good for cycling is the platy. The only problem is that they're livebearers, so you'd have to be prepared for the possibility of a lot of fry!
I agree that 3 or maybe 4 would be a good number to start out with. Rule of thumb for cycling is 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons.

Most plecos get quite large, so you might want to consider some other role players. Corydora cats are very active fish that'll eat the leftovers from the bottom of the tank. They're schoolers, and like to be kept in groups of 3 or more. See here: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ra/g_thumbs.htm

A good algae eater is the otocinclus. They only get to about 1.5 inches. I just added some to my tank. I hear they're "relentless" when it comes to cleaning up the algae.

Good luck with the tank... hope this helped!

You say "tall", does that mean your surface area is limited?
How large is the surface area. This is more important than how much water the tank contains. Will you have an air supply also? I notice you said it had a heater, again Surface area is important. The more heat that is generated, the less dissolved oxygen that can diffuse, limiting the amount and size of fish you may want to keep.

I have tanks in two classrooms right now - a first grade that I maintain and stock for them, and my intensive resource room. Like you this is not a science experiment so much as a place to focus and relax for kids and adults. I think that the danio idea is perfect. Also I'd leave the pleco idea behind - I've one in the 45 gallon but I wouldn't suggest it for a tank your size, besides, for kids they are boring - hiding a lot unless you get a real character. I'm sold on the cory cats for activity in the tank - I'd eventually go with three of them for entertainment and bottom activity. I have live bearers among others, for your tank, I'd steer clear, you don't need the babies and soon you'd need a dozen more tanks. Check out smaller tank set ups in the "members aquarium pictures" while you cycle the tank with the danios, and I'm sure you will come up with looks and ideas for stocking that you like.
ENJOY - the classroom is the finest place for a fish tank - Everyone in the school uses it for one reason or another... The tank gets more visits than I ever do and I'm really fun -_- ...
Let us know how you are getting on :)

ALASKA

The Cory/zebra combo may be the way I go. I could probably get a decent sized school of zebras going considering my space restrictions. Thanks !

Yenko said:
I think 2 Dwarf Gouramis and some Harlequin Rasboras would be nice.
IMO, neither of those fish are good for cycling. I think Tony is on track with cycling with zebras, and adding the cories after the cycle. :D

Sorry; I didn't realize these fish would be to cycle with, I was talking about an attractive tank. Maybye replace the Rasboras with Danios.

hmm...i would get 2-3 Zebra danios to start. then slowly add more, 2-3every other week. do that up until you have about 12 of them in there. let that get stabalized (sp) then i would say add about 7-8 guppies. do that only if you have an efficent filter. i have a friend who has that sort off tank and i is awsome.

HTH

Cat.fish

I started with 3 Zebra Danios and am now up to 5 along with a blood parrot. The 3 danios were in there for a little over a month before I got more...

i think that blood parrot is gonna be too big for your tank, they get about 8 inches long...... :blink: :crazy:

Most reactions

Back