Cichlid research papers

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi so a few of you will know about my obsession about Nicaraguan Cichlids they are my favourite fish and I think such a massively under rated fish in the hobby. Its likely because they are not for everyone, they are a bit of a pain to keep but so much personality and colour and for me just the perfect shape.

I've noticed over the years that there are definite differences in appearance, some get a red belly, some have a clean black horizontal line on the female and dot on the male, others have much more irregular black markings on them and some in between.

I want to find research papers on the species to see if there is any information on where these variations come from, their main distributions are Nicaragua and Costa Rica so it could be from there.

I've also recently seen a youtube video where their spawning process was described and it involved the male digging a hole out of the river bank, creating a nest for the pair to raise the fry in. I've also seen a video before of a male Nicaraguan helping a female Dovii raise a brood of fry in order for the Dovii to attack neighbouring Neetroplus who would in turn attack the Nicaraguans. Interesting right?

I'd really love it if someone could point me in the direction of where I can find or may be able to find research papers on the species to see if everything I've mentioned is true and further if there are any more details on them as they really are an interesting species.

Wills

I have little direct information, but there is a host of scientific studies on Nicaraguan cichlids. Marta Barluenga is a name that appears on several, so presumably she is a prime authority.

There is also Elmer, et al. (2010)

If you do a search in Google Scholar for Nicaraguan cichlids, you will find pages of entries.

A trick I use is to search with topic and pdf, So "wills pdf" might get me a description of you.

I have little direct information, but there is a host of scientific studies on Nicaraguan cichlids. Marta Barluenga is a name that appears on several, so presumably she is a prime authority.

There is also Elmer, et al. (2010)

If you do a search in Google Scholar for Nicaraguan cichlids, you will find pages of entries.

A trick I use is to search with topic and pdf, So "wills pdf" might get me a description of you.

Wow guys thank you so much! Thats perfect - I've found some really interesting articles. This one in particular is really interesting - explaining increased levels of aggression to golden coloured Amphilophus species compared to dark coloured ones and also recognising the lack of aggression towards Jaguar Cichlids with a reference to the type of relationship male Nicaraguans have with Dovii cichlids in the wild.

Wills

If you are looking for scientific papers then the place to start is not regular Google. Start here instead https://scholar.google.com/
There you will be searching the scientific literature. using scholar means you need to use more scientific terms. However, I just put in "Nicaraguan cichlids" and got back 3,240 papers and articles.

If you refine the terms you can really drill down on species or locations etc. Also, any time you find a paper or article you really like, you can then click on "related articles" to find even more papers on a similar topic.

One warning, scientific papers are most;y mot available unless you are a member at a unutversity or institution thta gets you free access to the papers. You can always see the abstract and if one version does not offer access other might. To find out you can click on "All x-number versions. There may be only one but the can also be 15 or more.

I know a few Ph.D.s who are fish keepers and if I really want to read a study I cannot get without paying silly money, I can ask them for a favor and they send me a copy.

Most reactions

Back